Return of the Chestnuts

A fine tree well worth bringing back. The wood is great too, very conducive to working and pleasing to the eye.

I'd like to plant one today. My 2 chinese chestnuts have topped out at 25'. And the nuts aren't very good.

My dad has three of them that his grandfather planted years ago. Two of them are in front of the old homeplace and one is off to itself a bit. One of them has huge chestnuts, nearly twice the size of the other ones.

I have seen other pictures of the giant Chesnuts in the forest. I find it amazing they could grow that large that close to other trees.

My bud is growing some Chesnuts he bought from the NY state. Still doing good after a few years.

Anybody else read the book "Forever Green"? It had some good old pictures in it. Chuck Levelle sp? wrote it. He is a keyboardist who plays with the Stones, among others.

It's an interesting subject if and how long it might take before the native trees acquire enough immunity to overcome certain blights .From what I read the American chestnut while almost made extict has acquired some resistance as has the American elm to DED .As I suspect the ash trees will given enough time to the recent blight of emerard ash beatles .

What few trees that do survive long enough to reseed probabley produce hardier off springs but it might take centuries before they ever get as plentiful as the original native population .

Back