Retrenching Hollow Trees for Life

treelooker

Treehouser
8 a.m. 11/15/2013 I will present "Retrenching Hollow Trees for Life" in the Arboriculture track at TCI Expo. Case studies include the use of tomography, and information straight from the trees. We shall overcome faulty conclusions from incomplete, defect-based tree risk assessments. Tree owners appreciate their trees' strengths, and understand the process of retrenchment. They are pleased with the results, for life.

This is a :hello1: shout out to anyone with examples of pruning back hollow trees to help them live longer. Please send pics and details if you would not mind them included in the presentation. This need be nothing fancy or polished. Pics can be stamped for attribution, and I'll buy the first beer for contributors. :drunk:

I wish I had some good before and after pictures of that hollow Ficus virens I showed you here outside the botanical garden. That was a great example.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
O yeah I remember that tree. Maybe a before pic from googlemaps? I imagine they cover HK pretty well...

Got a seriously old and hollow Poinciana I can take pics of, I've worked on it once.

Just put a bid on a 30-40% crown reduction on a very large chinese banyan with a large vertical crack and defects at the base (poor branch unions where they fork from at the trunk). There is also decay evident along the major lateral branches. The tree is a significant liability as it stands but I gave them the option of pruning or complete removal, and waiting to hear the answer.

jp:D

But is it hollow? Ficus do get Ganoderma.

And yes Fi a poinciana example would be loverly. :)

Good question, if we get the job and do the pruning we will find out! The trunk is most certainly hollow....

jp:D

Give me two weeks, got to get back to Bermyland to take the picture...

ok, bermie, jon; there is some time...and the more the merrier!

Back