Removing Tree Stakes VIDEO

NickfromWI

King of Splices
This is a first draft. I'd like to have a better vid I can show clients around LA. Have a look and tell me what would make it better (other than having intro credits and all that to make it look finished)

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PFjdkqNX5zk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For starters, I think I am going to have Karina film it so that I am IN the video and it will be less shaky since it will be on a tripod.

love
nick

The reason nobody ever removes tree stakes is because nobody is paid to think about it. Landscapers put them in during a new installation with vague instructions to the owners (or the general contractors) to remove the stakes after 6 months. But by that time the property is turned over and occupied by the new tenants, they have a landscape company doing the maintenance and the lawn guys are paid to mow, edge, trim the bushes and blow off. Nobody has 'remove tree stakes' in their job description.

A couple years ago I took some pictures of 10 year old trees that still had the stakes and ties in place. The entire row of trees were girdled beyond recovery and in need of removal, yet the stakes were all still in place. I cut a few with my pocket knife but some had metal bands holding them in place. I'm sure they are all still strapped in place and will be until the trees get removed. This was on a city owned and maintained boat ramp area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are correct sir. And for me, it serves as a potential income source. Educating property managers about the value of the trees in their parking lots and how to take care of them RIGHT can be an easy way to make money AND make a difference.

My favorite is when you get to a parking lot early and there are only cars parked in the spaces under the trees. It get's the point across perfectly. People in hot climates want shaded parking spots. Let's give 'em what they want! :)

love
nick

Good point nick. I agree with you that there may be a market for planting after care as a whole. Especially in a large metro area like yours.

I'm thinking that one method for addressing this may be to put removal dates on the stakes during the install. People's memories get fuzzy after 6 months, and most people looking at a staked tree automatically assume that the stakes are there for a reason and somebody will remove them when it is 'time'. If the stakes are dated then anyone looking at them can see that they have been in place for a year too long and maybe somebody might take some initiative and remove the damn things.

That's actually a good idea. Staple a tyvek tag to the stakes that says, "if you see this after July 2012, call Tree Care LA to have it removed immediately" or something like that.

When I plant trees with stakes, I force people to pay for the stake removal as part of the planting. Ideally the client will take care of it...but you never know.

The client can easily take the stakes off themselves, but I'm doing it as a checkup to make sure all it going well anyways. They are happy to pay.

love
nick

Here's what a parking lot tree SHOULD look like!

a6cd8f33-35be-7bb4.jpg

I usually tell folks to leave stakes in place through the first winter and either remove or loosen once the windy/rainy season is over. I also sell a structural pruning included in the price of the tree if the remember to call me back in about 2 years time. I think the tag idea is great.
I talked to our mall about the cars parking under trees and even though they understood, the adamantly refused to expand any planters if it cost even a single parking spot

Yeah I wouldn't even bother trying to get them to expand a planter. The tipu in the Vid were planted in max 24" wide area. Maybe good for a crape Myrtle, but in somewhat ideal conditions tipu will eventually spread an easy 60' around here.

Back