Palm trees.

• Thread starter boboak
  • Start date
  • Replies 34
  • Views 4K
My Grandfather used to have crews of up to 200 guys falling and bucking oak trees for firewood with hand saws in Santa Barbara county in the 1930's. Imagine what they could have done with chainsaws.

Handfalling used to be the top bush job around here. Really good money, dangerous as all hell, but it payed. Now it's all forked up. I resent missing out on it. Does it show.

If I moved locales I could have a really good falling job, standing offer. All highlead and heli blocks so just like mentioned before steeper than sh-t. My wife would never leave though. Both of our families are pretty firmly rooted in the okanagan.

Hopefully the time you're ready to retire will coincide with the domination by the mech. harvesters, Stig.

Well, that will be the time to retire, all right. Ready or not.

I got into arborist work as a sideline about 25 years ago, and that fills up the void, that the harvesters have created, pretty well.
Tell you what, taking down a big tree in a small yard is more exciting than cutting scale for the paper industry any day, so really I shouldn't complain.
But like Boboak, I miss the whole: "one faller, one saw, one tree" thing a little.
At least I can still fall my mature hardwoods without having to look over my shoulder to see if I'm being overrun by a harvester, they can't quite handle those yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to everbody that gave me advice on cutting palms. They're not like anything I've ever cut. The day went well...other than a yappy little forester that I wanted to wrap in duct tape and tie to a tree somewhere out of earshot.

Back