Older article on crane use in tree work.

Eric H-L

Treehouser
Chris Girard’s informative articles led me to search this out. Working w/Cranes: What You Need to Know – TreeBuzz - https://www.portal.treebuzz.com/working-wcranes-what-you-need-to-know-1285
Chris had mentioned in comments that snap cuts have fallen out of favor with leaders in crane use education. This 2017 article illustrates some of the evolving thinking 6 years ago. Mark Chisholm offers the snap cut as one option but also warns several times: “don’t leave any wood fibers for the crane to break.” “Make your cuts all the way through, even bypass to make sure.” “Any time the crane needs to break fibers can impose shock loading or overloading.”

We'll see if a certain, argumentative youth, has turned over a new leaf with this thread for sure.

Never done crane work, and as I've pointed out elsewhere, I'd like to work AROUND a good tree crane crew for a year or so at least. I'm a fairly skilled climber, with a lot of experience aloft (pushing 20 years, happily uncertified.) I'm just past competent, into good as ground support. I worked a truss crew for a few years, catching big engineered roof trusses flown up by a crane. I can't make myself believe that any of that experience applies to craning a tree.

I'd like to point out a problem I've had for years, certificationism. I understand proving credentials, but who set the parameters, who verified the experts? Here, I'll prove my point: Gerry, Burnham, and Stig, are hereby Kaveman Approved Tree Technicians. Welcome to KATT gentlemen. The rest of you can submit applications via PM.

We'll see if a certain, argumentative youth, has turned over a new leaf with this thread for sure.
We can only hope.

Mark Chisholm was my first instructor in crane climber use many years ago, and I could not have asked for a better climber to learn from.

So yeah, when I offer climbers advice on crane work, I know what I'm talking about...I learned from one of the best.

I doubt I'll ever have practical use for the articles, but I'd be interested in reading them.

Back