non-pro top handle recommendations

I'm hoping the 201TC hits the shelves quick. Supposed to run with the 200's. Of course they've said that on the first two generations also. I've got 3 second gen 201's at work that are getting tired.
Wish I knew more on the 192 but we have a pair of them on other crews. Haven't used a 192 since it was the 019. Didn't like them then. Guys use them for trimming but not for removals

Agreed on all fronts. Not sure whether the 192 is still available here, or whether it's all 193s by me. The 193s list for only $9 less than the 355. ($339.95 vs. $349. Echo has dropped the price on the 355 by $100 from the original MSRP of $449. Not sure that was ever realistic.)

I want to know where you're shopping for used 355s! I can't find anything close to $200! :cry:

Also good to hear another vote for the 355.

Tim is dead right. Confirmed with a call to Echo today that the 330T (like the 360T before it) has been discontinued. That's a drag. :(

I was unaware of the $100.00 price drop for the Echo CS-355T. Thanks for pointing that out, Spellfeller. The super bargain would have been the 360T, I think, because it probably had an engine on it of similar size to the 355T, but it was just about completely gone by the time I was looking to purchase, so I settled for the slightly smaller engine of the 330T.

The fact that they've dropped the price on the 355T by so much does bring it into the realm of making it a pretty good option. It has the slightly larger engine and is actually 1/10th of a pound lighter in weight than the 330T. They do not show the 355T as being compatible with a 12" bar like my 330T is, for some reason.

Anyway, at that new lower price of $350 for the top of the line Echo top handle saw, they are being very competitive, I think.

With regard to this quote from rbtree,....

"That latest Echo is called a 355. I hear it's quite good, but costs a lot more than a 192---I've found four of them used........for about $200 each, all like new."

.... I'm not sure from the way it is worded whether he's talking about the Stihl 192 or the Echo 355 being $200 each. My bet would be the 192, since it has been out a while. It is a pronoun confusion problem, as he says he found "them" used for $200, instead of naming the particular saw model. He'd referred to both saws just moments earlier.

I do wonder about some folks bad experiences with Stihl, and the stories behind all of that, but that would be better left for a separate thread, if it hasn't already been covered before.

Tim

I just did a Google search and all the 355t's were still $450 +/-

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don't get the Husky T435. It is an absolute dog. I keep mine in the work truck for clearing overgrown roadways, but it's never coming in the tree with me again.

...agree , piece of Crap ! ...not even really a Husky , a "re-badged" Red Max as Husky bought them out. Selling me a Husky that is not in fact their design is BullShit.

...on the positive side , the Echo's actually aren't bad value if bucks are tight. Lack a heavy duty piston cylinder though...invest in an XP climb saw for more snort and better overall life and performance is my three cents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The super bargain would have been the 360T

So true! The 360 was a LOT of saw for ~$260. I found a minty one on the San Fran craigslist last week with fewer than 10 hours on it. It was going to work out to $160 shipped! Unfortunately, he sold it to a local buyer. THAT was a downer! :cry:

...at that new lower price of $350 for the top of the line Echo top handle saw, they are being very competitive, I think.
Agreed. I'm leaning this way (355) now, though I'm not sure it's $50 better than the 192...:?

I like whatever saw I don't have to work on and starts. I tossed a 261 out of a tree a month ago, it wouldn't start to save my life after I had turned it off only for a few min. I think there all shit truth be known, the germans and sweeds could build a really bad ass saw if they wanted to.

Clicked on Ebay and found one under 300 immediately. This one looks pretty low use.
Doubt you'll get a warranty with it though.
Other thing I like about the Echos is that a small block is about 100.00 if you need a new motor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echo-CS-330T-Chainsaw-Climbing-Chainsaw-Arborist-/171898324692?hash=item2805f046d4

Thanks, man. I saw that one too. What gave me a little pause is that "george-deals" has four for sale, and I can't see the actual unit I would get.

I suppose I could just ask him to send the best of what he has left? Assuming it hasn't been thrashed, $229 shipped is a pretty good deal; it's essentially getting the saw for $200.

The new ones. PHO no mix, no bar oil

IMG_1647-L.jpg

T540_zpsa984c71a.jpg

img1386large.jpg

Brad Snelling, who knows a thing or two about modding saws (at least a thing or two more than I do!), has a few vids on the 355:

Stock, getting 9.3 sec. average pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVSTJBNIMWc

Muffler mod, getting 8.3 sec average pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NkH6Zhh5s

MM plus timing advanced 6°, getting 8 sec. average pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XgUKYEHB_c

At my level, I think I could be more than happy with stock for the first 5 years...once the warranty expires, all bets are off! ;)

Work modded saws are supposed to run cooler and last longer, no?

A warranty is good, and better not voided.

Production work is different.

Commercial warranties are shorter. I mode mine after about 30 days on a newer version saw. I will know in 30 days if I like the saw enough to keep it and what bugs or weaknesses it will have. Easiest is a muffler mod, then buy a spare muffler in case a warranty issue arises :)

stihl 150 all the way...this saw is great for a new climber, light, nimble and very low kick back, very user friendly.

Price is steep but if your going to do a lot of tree work it will pay for itself in just a job or 2

if you need a top handle once in a while then any of the cheaper off brands will do a great job ;) just dont over think it!

Think I have a few more saved. Had the 435 and thought 271 but cant find right now.

s200tweight.jpg stihl150tc.jpg
DSC_0006-2.jpg

Back