Need protein ideas

All this ado about low carbs and less fat might be good .Whatever happened to just a basic ballanced diet .:?

As far as protein you don't have to neccessarily need a bunch of meat .My daughter who is a veggie is healthy as a horse,cuter than a button and tiny as a minute .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Balanced is good, if you are starting out in good shape, without any inherited problems. I've got a long way to go to get in good shape, and a few hurdles in the way, other than simple good eating and exercise. Right now, I'm having difficulty processing fats and sugars, that might change with weight loss.

Death first!;) I'm not opposed to plant based protein, just don't know much about it, that's all. Will have to keep reading.

Oh, I didn't know you're not a fan of fish. Plant based protein can be great but, like you said, research is in order to make sure you're getting what you need. If you go vegan it would be safest to add a few appropriate supplements as well, probably.

A good place to start researching is Indian food, as they have a centuries old tradition of vegetarianism/veganism in some of the religious groups there, so they've got it figured out already.

Also, maybe you should try finding a more helpful nutritionist, if possible.

I'll look into the Indian food. They have a lot of rice in their dishes, don't they? I like rice. I'm not looking into being a vegan, but adding more vegetables is in order. I do need to try and find a better nutritionist, I tried talking to her about supplements, but she wanted to wait until the next visit.:what: Paying out of pocket for all this is a real pain in the ass.

Ditching salty, fatty, and high carb foods is helping. I got into a real rut by not eating frequent small amounts of protein, instead having a couple of larger meals a day. My metabolism went totally haywire.

Dave, There is nothing that can screw up your metabolism faster than eating the food that is readily available to you in the supermarket. It looks good and natural but it's not.

Even the water you drink, if it comes out of the tap from a city purification system can kill all the beneficial flora in your intestinal system.

While you are trying to get back to whatever level of health you desire, research whole foods, both raw and fresh. Organic if possible. The amount of toxic substances we ingest on a regular basis is appalling.

For my metabolism, I am a fan of occasional fasting for rebalancing.

Dave

It's been said that moderation is the key to everything or so I'm told .

It makes sense if you have a cholesteral problem that a lot of beef wouldn't be good for you . Fact is the native peoples of Alaska are the only group in the world that can subsist of a diet of meat and still remain healthy .Why this is or was so I haven't a clue .

Well, not quite so fast ...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8WA5wcaHp4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8WA5wcaHp4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

More:

http://tinyurl.com/yubfny

It's been said that moderation is the key to everything or so I'm told .

It makes sense if you have a cholesteral problem that a lot of beef wouldn't be good for you . Fact is the native peoples of Alaska are the only group in the world that can subsist of a diet of meat and still remain healthy .Why this is or was so I haven't a clue .

Al, I don't know about the Alaskan natives, but the Greenland inuit supplemented the meat by eating the contents of the intestines of reindeer and muskox.
That would give them enough vitamin C to avoid scurvy.

Whey protien was mentioned before... but you gotta watch out how it is delivered. I use it in powder form, and mix it with 1% milk. Most of the protien powders are high in calories to make it taste good...

So if you do use whey protien in powder form, you really need to check the labels. If you get flavors like "Cookies and Cream", or "Chocolate Fudge Malt", or Super Snazzy Strawberries"... you're usually gettin' a buttload of sugar calories and carbs to go with the protien... won't do you much good.

I just use plain ol' vanilla, or chocolate flavors. Low calories, low carbs, and high in protien. Its a tuff choice when pickin' which one you want to use... there are a bazillion different brands and types of whey protiens..

Gary

Now I'll eat about .However chowing down on the contents of what eventually would have been defacated by a musk ox does not appeal to me .:O

I would say bull chit but somehow they are one in the same .

It's because their diet is very high in Omega 3, mainly from whale and fish. Also wild game is very low in saturated fat and some high in Omega 3, which lowers cholesterol. Unlike grain feed beef which is very high in saturated fat.

I don't know anything about reindeer or musk ox intestines, and that suits me fine. :barf:

Back