Need a term.

Yeah, gonna need my hip boots for this... damn place was a desert then too. There weren't no lush forest phase after the glaciers, it was always arid, since the primordial seas rolled back.

Go visit the Petrified forest in AZ to reference what become of a forest with or with out our help over time. Then the next mountains are formed and nature finds a way.

Go visit the Petrified forest in AZ to reference what become of a forest with or with out our help over time. Then the next mountains are formed and nature finds a way.
You mean in Holbrook, 30 miles north of me? Been there. Did you know that the predominant species petrified is Sequoiadenderon Gigantium? (i think i spelled that right, phukin @stig making me work at it, I feel like I'm missing an "h")

On a clear day, from on top of my shipping containers I can see the petrified forest, and Holbrook, and part of the painted desert.

The high desert and the low are always pretty in the snow.

This whole mountian is pretty interesting in regards to natural history. Not far north of the petrified forest and painted desert is the location of some of the oldest, longest continuously occupied settlements in North America. Like Homolovi.

Spent ten years in AZ. It was a facination to me. So I visited a lot of it. Explored. Never did get to all of it.
I opened an office equipment business for a CA corp when I moved there. Out of Scottsdale. But we had a LARGE service area. From Flagstaff to Sells. East to west it was a narrow corridor. Had all the Muscular Dystrophy pretty much. I often did some of the deliveries and service routes. Often made a weekend adventure of it. Might as well explore while your out and about. Like, hey, might as well go see Santa Fe.....
Same as a kid. Family vacations meant seeing stuff in the states from CA to Kansas. Texas to Wyoming.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice try Kaveman!
It is Sequoiadendron giganteum:P

I have been to both Petrified forest and painted desert, Hell, it is practically in my back yard.

@Mick, that's a false stand dynamics concept, though a common one. There is no such thing as a climax species holding land for ever. Even really long-lived tree species age out, become decadent and lose primacy. When they begin to fail, those "pioneer" species will populate the openings as they develop. And the progression begins anew.

And that leaves aside the frequent disruptions to portions of those climax stands caused by flood, landslide, fire, insects and disease, volcanic eruption, earthquake, etc.

No forest becomes unchanging, static in its composition of species. No perpetuity exists.
For example the old oak forests near me that have been killed off due to oak wilt are being replaced by maple trees. The maples will be a fine stand one day if left alone, tall and straight.

@Burnham

If there isn't a cone picking thread, would you do us a favor and spin a tale in a new thread?
Well, there is this one.

Back