natural redirects

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

First of all, the new NT Champion is pretty awesome. (Certainly, if you compare it to a Trophyline Tree Saddle! :\:)

Below is Joe Tentative inching out on a first-ever limbwalk. Obviously, the bridge is WAY too long and the TIP could/should be higher. (Will work to improve both next time.) Just a question about natural redirects--clearly, the one in the picture is working against me!

In the situation below, if I were to disconnect the climbing line (only when bucked in, of course) and pass the system over the limb, is there any problem with the running end being draped over the crotch?

Page 61 of The Tree Climber's Companion actually seems to say that it can be an advantage in retrieval...?

i-774SHLT-XL.jpg

" is there any problem with the running end being draped over the crotch? "

nope. I usually just pull enough over so it hangs there with some slack and your not having to fight with it as you go out farther. Also you want to be conscious of the loop it creates so your not dropping stuff onto it.

For one thing, it will be pulling up on your hitch and you don't want that. Either pull the tail over some or pull it all the way through.

If I'm understanding what you're asking here...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Fiddler!

Butch, if I follow Fiddler's advice and pull a significant amount through, that would load the Blake's properly, right? (Also, I should have the hitch closer to tend it correctly.)

Carrying your rope in a bag is sometimes easier, sometimes not.

When dropping limbs, having your rope out of the way helps, me a lot to be more efficient. It saves snags, rec climbing or production. Pass your rope bag over the limb with your split tail.

You can hang it if you need to really balance.

I've mostly forgetten about it on my saddle.

Helps to match your rope length to the tree, so you're not carrying 120' of rope for a 40' TIP.

Thanks for this, Sean. I have certainly noticed that cut limbs, throw line, etc., falling on rope at the base of the trunk is a PITA.

I may give it a whirl. Trouble is, I only have one length of rope in the budget right now, and you guessed it...120 ft! :lol:

Either pull the tail over some or pull it all the way through.

Just had a great climb and followed your advice, guys. After recrotching, I decided to pull the rope ALL the way through, so I could descend on the other side of the tree.

Worked a treat! Thanks again.

...use Ger's advice I do ... Coil and hang the tail out of harm's way. Easy to do and makes climber more versatile for next move. My duex centime

I think Gerry demonstrates this in this video at about 3:20
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QEB3B99d2wI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Way to go!

Eventually using a split tail will make your moving about much easier when climbing over branches...
As for the tail of the line, plenty of experienced people here suggesting coiling or rope bags, if it makes life easier, try it!

Way to go!
Eventually using a split tail will make your moving about much easier when climbing over branches...

Thanks, Bermy!

I'm really looking forward to graduating to a split tail of some kind. The only question is whether to stick with the Blake's for a while or go to an E2E at the same time.
I'm kinda chasing my tail on that decision!

Back