Ms 361... Worth clutch drum and bearing shaft??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When engine spin from impact / drills etc.. the dogs go out and starter sound something like: scrowditktakrach. Then it will need reoplacing.
When you knock it it turns half a turn.

I heard to remove the starter cover. Probably dig into it today or tomorrow.Thanks for the help.

I rarely remove starter when knocking them, just off with kill switch or ground coil, then go at it.

Light knocks, there isn't much needed if forces and vibrations are applied correctly.
Were you hold rod and how it sit against clutch is the key rather than high forces. A gently tap ith the tiny hammer is all it takes if it is correctly applied.

I know many roll their eyes and think this is nuts, I did too, but with practice and careful placement it is not often I need other methods or tools. It works 95% of the time. Fast easy and safe if done correct.

If there is a worn out center or multiple legs a tap or two on each leg makes a huge differance.
I was doing this once on a 162 and it just wouldn't budge at all. I tried impact and every trick I knew, still it was still sitting there and I swear it was laughing at me. It turns out some one had drilled center and welded it to crank, sanded it nice and evenly after. I could not see it until I looked real carefully and noticed the markings were gone. This one I let sit and put saw on shelf.
Why it was welded I don't know, I suspect ripped threads, but don't know for sure.
There was horrible markings after piston stop. I guess they came while ripping the threads or something..

I have 680 saws (+5-600 in parts and doubles) myself and see many here every week so I see lots of strange stuff...
many broken cranks and pistons from using piston stoppers and other stuff wrong.

I don't take saws apart, but when I did, we used a piece of string as piston stop.
That way you don't accidentally make a dent in your piston top.

Back