Leaking fungus in a magnolia

NickfromWI

King of Splices
What would you do with this one...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h0puXNLwvLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

love
nick

My first toght was kill it but dam that's a pretty tree.
I'll shut up know and lisen to the people who know what to do.
Hope to learn something on this one!!!
Thanks for sharing nick:thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Removal isn't one of the options here. I Wouldn't even consider it! Tree only appears slightly chlorotic. Enough that a passing tree guy would notice, but not enough that some lady walking her dog would ever notice.

I'm wondering what treatments, if any, yall would apply

love
nick

In honesty this is more a ipm thing as much as I want to know all about it it really seems to be a whole field in and of itself. I might add that Guy seems to be on top of these things maybe he might chime in.

Clean the wounds, for starters. Remove all dead and infectious material, scrub and rinse with water, then rinse with hydrogen peroxide 1:1 with water, then cauterise wound with blowtorch.

"“Streaks can be stubborn. The 5X plan
is: Excavate, Expose, Examine, Excise, and
Extract. A hole within the streak suggests
insect infestation, no hole suggests disease
infection. Damage living tissue only if justified,
such as cutting out margins for disinfection
or analysis. Lesions can be treated
with trunk drenches, injections, and/or
cauterization. For risk, look first to the flare
and the forks. Improving tree health is a
universal treatment.”

Pull a soil analysis, around here I've often found these to be nitrogen deficient.

Pull a soil analysis, around here I've often found these to be nitrogen deficient.

Unless you have just fertilized, that will be the finding everywhere in most cases. Many labs will not even report on surface nitrogen due to its mobility and volatility. At a bio-ag symposium my wife attended, filled with crop consultants, it was advised by a keynote speaker to ignore all fertilizer recommendations but learn to interpret the soil analysis report for correct site requirements.

That's interesting, we've had pretty good results from our analyses. Magnolia has been about the only consistent tree to report low nitrogen.
Obviously you need to look at the report as a whole but what is the point if you ignore parts?

..Obviously you need to look at the report as a whole but what is the point if you ignore parts?

My point was to read and understand the actual whole report to confirm what may be needed. The labs recommendations are often not accurate and they haven't a clue about what is best for trees.

I see, and agree. Often they make good recommendations but often too aggressive. I think mostly because they are used to dealing with annuals

Nick just clean the gunk out and rinse, for starters.

+1 on using soil tests.

Back