Johnny Appleseed Historic Tree Planting Tour

treelooker

Treehouser
In NC we celebrate this day more than Arbor Day, because fall is the better time to plant. If you're nearby these events, stop in. If you're not, throw your own tree-planting party!

Johnny Appleseed Historic Tree Planting Tour kicks off Sunday at 35th Annual Johnny Appleseed Festival in Ft. Wayne, IN

WHAT: Congressman Mark Souder kicks off a week-long Johnny Appleseed Birthday Celebration and Tree Planting Tour with a genetically authentic Johnny Appleseed “Rambo” Tree planting at the Ft. Wayne Festival Grounds as part of the city’s 35th annual Johnny Appleseed Festival. The Sunday event is the first of five special events being put on with the help of American Forests, the Johnny Appleseed Museum and Foundation at Urbana University and cooperating land owners in celebration of Johnny Appleseed’s 235th birthday anniversary.

WHEN: Sunday, Sept. 20, 2009, 3:30 p.m.

WHERE: Festival Stage, Festival Grounds near Johnny Appleseed gravesite, Ft. Wayne, IN

WHO: Mark Souder, U.S. Congressman
Bridget Kelly, Johnny Appleseed Festival, Master of Ceremonies
Jennifer Rankin, Director, American Forests’ Historic Tree Program
Joe D. Besecker, Director, Johnny Appleseed Society
Denny Lane, Johnny Appleseed Foundation Trustee

WHY: September 26th marks the 235th anniversary of Johnny Appleseed’s birth. Born John Chapman, Johnny Appleseed (1774 – 1845) planted apple trees across more than one hundred thousand square miles during his lifetime. His apples were a staple for many settlers moving West after the American Revolution. The last known living apple tree planted by Johnny still grows on a farm in Nova, Ohio that was part of a Land Grant signed by John Quincy Adams in 1837. Cuttings from that tree – a Rambo variety, Chapman’s favorite – have been grown into the trees by American Forests, the nation’s oldest conservation organization, founded in 1875. These Johnny Appleseed trees will be planted on this anniversary tour and are available to the public for online purchase from www.historictrees.org. Plant a Jo hnny Appleseed tree and sink your teeth into a delicious piece of American history!

Sunday’s Johnny Appleseed Festival will recreate the historical period in its appearance and carefully selected exhibitors, while providing an amazing array of food, crafts, reenactments, and entertainment – join the fun to begin this week-long celebration of a legend! Details and festival map are available at www.johnnyappleseedfest.com.

About American Forests:
American Forests’ mission is to grow a healthier world by working with communities on local tree-planting efforts that restore and maintain forest ecosystems. Our work encompasses planting trees, calculating the value of urban forests, fostering environmental education, and improving public policy for trees at the national level. We have a goal of 100 million trees planted by 2020.
For more information on American Forests, please visit www.americanforests.org

Damm freak Johnny. Planted all those crappy trees that now have morphed into crappy cultivars.

:)

Sounds like fun. Hope you can generate some biz from it :thumbup:

Sounds good.

Johnny Appleseed was my first idol. When I was a kid, I used to run around with a tin pot on my head and climb trees. People probably thought I was strange, some still do.:lol:

Brimmstone said he was related. Where'd he go anyway?

He happens to be be my great, great, great, great uncle. His sister Elizabeth is my great, great, great, great grandmother.

Last edited:
Have you ever read the book, "Botany of Desire"? It looks at 4 plants that man has desired and that have changed history - Apple, potatoes, tulips and marijuana.

Johnny wasn't particular what he got as he started his plantations from seed. All he was after was any type of apple that would ferment and form apple jack to wash the dust from the settlers mouth after a long day.

Good book, and an easy read.

As a young child, I remember recieving a Jonny Appleseed record for Christmas, (late 60's-early 70's). It was the first & only record I owned & I played it over & over again till your couldn't make out what was being said!

The record player I had at that time was a suitcase style player...man I'm feeling old now! lol

I believe it was produced by "Disney" but I'm not sure.

HC

It was.

I think this was my first book, but I have read quite a few since.:)

lgb-johnnyappleseed.JPG

If I'm not mistaken Johnathan Chapman AKA Johnny Appleseed started out some place around Toledo Ohio with his quest .

One route in Ohio is named the Jonyy Applseed memorial highway and that is Ohio route 68 I believe .He also traveled westward along a trail which is now US route 30

Back