Interesting safety observation...

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
I climb in an Edelrid Tree Motion...it has pretty small side D's, actually more like a closed V as they aren't rounded, but pointed.
Twice now I have been clipping in my lanyard with the double acting snap, and whilst looking at the very familiar motion, noticed that my hand knocked the D and the snap missed...

If I wasn't in the habit of looking down, or a quick peek to make sure the 'Click/snap' noise is ACTUALLY the snap engaging in the D, or pre-loading a new tie in before releasing the prior...something could have gone a bit nasty.

It brings to mind a friend who had a bad fall last year, could similar have happened, so when he leaned back, nothing was clipped in? He wore a Sequoia, what size are the side D's on those?

Smallish, care needs to be taken.
One of my apprentices had a harness ( I forgot which) where the tool strap was placed under the D ring. So when you missed the d-ring, you clipped into the tool strap.
We found out on a rec climb when we were sitting in the top of a lovely large noble fir talking, and I noticed he was clipped into a non rated little strip of string:O

Stupid design, and those tool straps were promptly cut off.

I'll stick with locking. Nowhere to clip into the wrong place on my saddle: I always give a good tug after clipping.

Just went to smaller Dees ... whether you tug or look w / whatever snap always good to double check. Methodically double checking re engagements aloft helps keep my nerves steady-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm glad I was taught good habits at College...they are paying off almost every day.
That and hearing/reading about other's misfortunes and close calls.

I use on ofe these:

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=15&item=1881

SH905.jpg

Mmm, been looking at that...I just made up a new lanyard, my double acting aluminium snap is now on its third lanyard...paint's a bit chipped, it's about 6 yrs old...

Clipped into my Caritool beaner once thinking it was the D ring, It didn't break but I was pretty mad when I realized what had happened. Double check it all of the time now.

Clipped into my Caritool beaner once thinking it was the D ring, It didn't break but I was pretty mad when I realized what had happened. Double check it all of the time now.

I did that once on my old saddle. That's why I don't use them anymore.

I look/listen/feel every time I lanyard in. Make sure it went on the right clip, listen for the right sound, and give the gate a push with my thumb. Only takes an extra second.

I've only been climbing for 5 years but, the thought of what WOULD happen if I missed my D ring up in the tree forces me to look. I have to see it securely clipped to the D. I hope I NEVER get so comfortable that I wouldn't check, check, check EVERY time I clip onto my climb line. :\:
Work safe. ;)

I've only been climbing for 5 years but, the thought of what WOULD happen if I missed my D ring up in the tree forces me to look. I have to see it securely clipped to the D. I hope I NEVER get so comfortable that I wouldn't check, check, check EVERY time I clip onto my climb line. :\:
Work safe. ;)

For real!
I was thinking the other day as I was clambering around, what a good foundation was laid by the College I went to, actually the tutors and instructors...they were never shy of telling graphic stories, or pointing out what could go wrong, as well as emphasizing the safe way to do things. I should write them a note...

For real!
I was thinking the other day as I was clambering around, what a good foundation was laid by the College I went to, actually the tutors and instructors...they were never shy of telling graphic stories, or pointing out what could go wrong, as well as emphasizing the safe way to do things. I should write them a note...

:? I'm kinda OCD about it.....;)

About writing thank-you notes...or imagining all the nasty things that can go wrong up in a tree?! :)

... unfortunately. , a climb or two when things don't go zactly as planned, help to promote safe practices, and of course the always ready plan B ....

My wife and son look forward to me coming home every day, that's more than enough influence to keep me doing everything possible to make sure that happens.;)

Hey NH, generally speaking where are you? ....

I'm on the southwest side of Lake Winnipesaukee, right next to Paugus Bay. Not "on" the lake, but within sight. Here's a couple pics I took while I was climbing.....

.....Paugus Bay from two recent climbs in my back yard.....
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7150 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7150 - Copy.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7146 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7146 - Copy.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 18
accidents happen a lot when a climber gets to complacent, I traversed once between to poplar's 90' up before realizing my carabiner was not closed and I could have very easily fallen out. always good to check.

Back