Hunting 2016

Stoked for some deer and moose trips this fall too
Been lookin for wild hogs that are rumored to be in the fraser but i havent found any yet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Come on down and we'll put you on some hogs. I'm getting pumped too, archery opens here in two weeks. I've got a couple of out of state trips planned. Lord willing I'll spend a week in Illinois bowhunting the rut and a few days in Georgia on a place that is about as good as it gets in the south. Are you hunting whitetails or mulies Barry?

I bet they are Jim. Have you ever thought about a pay hunt operation? Charge a trespass fee to hunt whatever section your cows are not on?

Not really Ray.

We are in the Montana Block Management program. The state pays us to open our property to hunters.

We cant charge a fee under this program, but can have a lot of control if we wanted to. You can limit the amount of hunters, only allow on who you want. Have people banned, and so forth. '

We dont do any of that stuff, because we dont like being bothered by hunters asking for permission, and because we like to provide a place for them to hunt.

Before the program we had the whole place posted and spent a lot of time running off hunters. Not because we did not like hunters, but because they had no respect whatsoever.

They have to sign in every day, list the people in their party, write down the plate number and what type and color of vehicle. Keeps the assholes out, plus the wardens patrol more.

Sounds like a pain in the ass but lots and lots of hunters leave wine or food as gifts or mail us stuff when they get home. I guess they really appreciate being able to hunt, now that more and more places are becoming posted or charge fees.

We're slowly getting more big bucks. Hasn't always been the case and they still aren't a dime a dozen

It's been so hot the bigger bucks haven't been moving much here. I hunted one day, was soaked in sweat and the mosquitoes were horrendous. I'm waiting on a little cooler weather before I go back.

Jim, in your area would you say that more people with hunting capability on their land allow people in, or more don't allow it? Can you hear gunshots from your residence?

Its probably half and half. 20 years ago almost every place out here was posted. The people that came out to hunt were dipshits, so everything was locked up.

The State came out with a plan to pay land owners a little bit to allow some hunting. It has worked well.

Further out into the Mountains and it probably gets to only a third of the places that allow hunting.

I cant hear the shots from inside my house. I have it set up so that the area around my house is verboten.

Outside the house I can hear gunfire.

Yep, whitetail and mule deer.

Those numbers are coming back too. There have been some nice bucks taken of my place over the years.

Three years ago the numbers got hammered by hemorrhagic fever.

Before that the antelope were hammered by tough winters. Everything is on the rise now.

I suppose that North Dakota is the closest thing to antelope country from Pennsylvania.

Kill, kill, kill!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-NzFJxX8yoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To eat of course. But I say kill, because that's indeed what takes place. I don't want to patronize the animal and say "harvest"

Back