Groundies Working Their Hearts Out For The Man

Jomo

TreeHouser
Myanmar(Burma) still uses elephants for low impact logging, and has done so for a very long time.

I find it very heart breaking that the modern world is bringing this noble symbiotic relationship between man and animal to an end.

http://america.aljazeera.com/conten.../2014/1/photos-elephant-logginginmyanmar.html

I'll never forget the day about 15 or so years ago while removing a large Lerp Psyllid infested red gum euc with a 120 ton crane at the S D Zoo, that crossed over a 24 inch DBH ficus elastica that bent over precariously further once the euc was gone.

I asked Danny Simpson, the head of horticulture at the zoo, what he wanted to do with it, suggesting to him that it was too high of a pedestrian traffic area to leave. He said choke the tree off and have the CO put it where I tell yu. So I rigged it, whacked it, and the CO lifted it dripping white sap into the air.

Then Danny unlocked the huge steel gates into the African Elephant enclosure, went inside, and signaled for the CO to lower the entire tree into the enclosure next to him, and to hurry up about it! Once the tree was down next to him, he quickly unchoked it and high tailed it outta there!

About 12-15 elephants were stampeding and trumpeting their way to that ficus, and devoured the entire tree down to 3 inch wood in less than 15 minutes! They had white sap drooling down their chins as they rolled their eyes in ecstasy at the unexpected treat.

Jomo

I dropped off a 40 cubic yard bin crammed full of poplar brash and logs at Knowsley Safari park a few weeks ago, in the Elephant enclosure. Seemingly, they adore that stuff, it's like sweets or bubble gum to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The SD Wild Animal Park is one of the more humane zoos in the country IMO.

I too felt the despair of the animals every time I worked at the zoo downtown. I guess we reap what we sow....

Jomo

Very interesting. I guess none of us can say we've done it all in the tree cutting world till we've logged with elephants. With those big old soft pads I can imagine they are very easy on the forest floor.

That article was confusing. It showed the shackled legs of the an elephant saying the chains are used to pull the logs. And it said the country is getting deforested largely due to illegal logging, so, they are reducing the legal government logging??

Cool zoo story, Jo.

They have any wolverines there? I want to see that critter somewhere.

Wolverines are pretty freaky looking. I have not seen one up close, but a couple at a distance.

I think one of the Scandinavian countries built some sort of logging machine that walks on pads instead of tracks or wheels. I wonder if they got the idea from watching an elephant?

There's the Boston Dynamics group, I believe affiliated with MIT, that's got a military pack mule now that can climb hills, and right itself when someone purposefully tries to kick it over onto its side.

This is one of their much earlier four legged robots running.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wE3fmFTtP9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomo

This is one of their newer bigger models.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gOkXRXZIFxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomo

This is apparently a John Deere six legged tree harvester.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CO8AtNGPwDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomo

This shows a six legged harvester at work.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ftV2HeKPeBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomo

Back