Ground Guy Skills Checklist

We never have a bought lunch. Ever. I work eight, gate to gate. I pay the entire time and there are no real breaks. 10-15 maybe for lunch. I would never stop in the day to drive somewhere and have lunch or even go pick it up or something. Just how I roll. There's no stopping at a store or nothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thing is with groundies, is generally they get rubbish money for a back breaking monotonous job, if they had many skills they wouldn't be doing the job in the first place. ....

That's the thing. I'm trying to take someone that some people would look at as someone who moves branches and make it more like....

...I"ll pay you if you make my day easier.

So yeah. I don't want this to become a company where I have to put every waking minute of my life into and in order to do that, I need a team that will do as much as possible so I can always be looking a step ahead instead of worrying about the things that need to be filled and fixed.

FJR's etiquette & professionalism is an area I have sometimes been disappointed with...
:lol: You gonna take that, FJR?! :lol:

I suppose I'm a cynic, no one wants to be a groundy, youngsters want to be climbers (fair enough) older guys are doing it because they took a wrong turn somewhere in life, we all know climbers make the best groundsmen.
A guy will either be reasonably hard working and conscientious or he won't be. I'm not certain a checklist and all that corporate stuff will turn a hungover pothead into a valuable member of the team.
I try to treat them ok, not flog the arse off them, and when we finish early, they finish early.
Sorry to be negative.

I think PROPER filling a chain is a raise in it's own, I know it took me a while to get really good at it and I don't let alot of people sharpen my saws.

- How about adding mechanical tasks for rainy days; change engine/hydraulic oil in machines, change/flip knives or teeth, tensionning belts, checking tire pressure, greasing everything.

- I've found one guy so far that can use a mini, I would pay another guy 1$/h more if he could do it.

- Grinding stumps safely.

- Basic knowledge of planting.

- Using an airspade.

- Tree injections.

Are you putting together a company manuel with tasks for everyone? I was thinking of doing this during the slow season. I don't want to derail but if anyone has one and would be willing to share that would be awesone!!!

Wow! Full time employees? That's some monster hourly pay for 1990.

I suppose I'm a cynic, no one wants to be a groundy, youngsters want to be climbers (fair enough) older guys are doing it because they took a wrong turn somewhere in life, we all know climbers make the best groundsmen.
A guy will either be reasonably hard working and conscientious or he won't be. I'm not certain a checklist and all that corporate stuff will turn a hungover pothead into a valuable member of the team.
I try to treat them ok, not flog the arse off them, and when we finish early, they finish early.
Sorry to be negative.
A checklist will give you and the employee and understanding of clearly defined expectations. In the event that they cant live up to those expectations, you can handle it professionally and clearly point out their shortcomings and warn them, or fire them altogether. Your business is what you make of it. If you want to assemble a rag tag gang of easy come easy go labor, that's what you'll get. If you create an environment that makes it evident that you respect your company and insist employees do as well, you'll end up with a healthier environment. Not every worker will work out. Those that do, will tend to be the cream of the crop.
I don't agree that a worker is either good, or garbage. Some men are a product of what they know. Some can be changed. Motivation, encouragement, gratitude for their improvements, and a sense of self worth can bring out the best in men. I don't endorse baby sitting and hand holding, but I do feel that some men can be polished up and motivated to put forth their best effort. Do you employ "hung over pot heads"?

I don't think an employee guide creates a corporate atmosphere. I feel for some companies, it gives a resource to fall back on and say "my expectations are clearly laid out" in times when performance is lacking.

That's why I have a crew more than specific positions.

Told a potential customer this afternoon on a bid that I don't expect to be low bidder as I don't run with a bunch of unskilled labor. The job had no access whatsoever and a looooong ways to the chipper.

I have had a couple of groundies who shone because they could anticipate. Guys who are handy to start with, ex-sailors, carpenters etc. They might not know the specifics of tree work to start but it didn't take long for them to catch on, show them once what has to happen in a sequence and you can rely on them to do it again without prompting.
On the other hand I have a groundie who finds it difficult to tie a knot (she's got vision issues), but she will work hard for every minute on the job and keep smiling, she's 8 yrs older than I am and can keep up pretty well, 8 loads of coconut leaves up three flights of stairs on a hot day, yeah, you can come back!
Attitude and anticipation.
Personal ettiquete is essential due to the areas we work.

I pay $20 off the bat, $25 if you prove you are capable.

A checklist will give you and the employee and understanding of clearly defined expectations. In the event that they cant live up to those expectations, you can handle it professionally and clearly point out their shortcomings and warn them, or fire them altogether. Your business is what you make of it. If you want to assemble a rag tag gang of easy come easy go labor, that's what you'll get. If you create an environment that makes it evident that you respect your company and insist employees do as well, you'll end up with a healthier environment. Not every worker will work out. Those that do, will tend to be the cream of the crop.
I don't agree that a worker is either good, or garbage. Some men are a product of what they know. Some can be changed. Motivation, encouragement, gratitude for their improvements, and a sense of self worth can bring out the best in men. I don't endorse baby sitting and hand holding, but I do feel that some men can be polished up and motivated to put forth their best effort. Do you employ "hung over pot heads"?

I don't think an employee guide creates a corporate atmosphere. I feel for some companies, it gives a resource to fall back on and say "my expectations are clearly laid out" in times when performance is lacking.
All fair points, in an ideal world, yes demotivated guys would be inspired and empowered to do better. IME that's very rarely the case.
Either they care or they don't.
Do I employ hung over pot heads? Not employed but have had much worse as brash draggers!
The wages that you can earn staying dry and warm stacking shelves in a supermarket or on the dole means I've had to drag some right sorts out.
Now if you all want to use that to illustrate that I'm a pikey that runs a rag tag bunch of ne'er do wells go ahead.
For the record I usually have one good groundy and a selection of muppets to draw on as and when.

No, I honestly don't think lousy workers can often be motivated to perform. I should have been more clear. Sometimes I think it can happen and all is well. Most often, nah.

Nick, I like the idea, and have been working on a training manual myself, with a bunch of help from Erik. It's been on hold for a bit, but coming along, and of a similar vein.

Couple quick thoughts, for whatever they're worth...

You need to somewhere specify how you want things done, and this will dovetail into the Formal Training Program in place that might be part of a person's GL policy, my GL through Stratum requires it. My approach is to have default system for a lot of things. Can we generally have a plan in place that is a Go-To rather than re-inventing the wheel and making sure every one knows what the new plan is? This goes with packing the truck, operating trucks/ machines, rigging, etc.

Have a formal driving policy and a sign-off, and a formal driving test for the employee to take, sign off on, etc, and file it. This is important for liability/ negligence suits in the event of an accident.

A Standards of Practice SOP manual would spell this out.

To use as an example, I think you had a criterion for hooking up a trailer/ chipper...

Hooking up a trailer usually first involves
backing up to it (its own procedure),
connecting hitch and locking with a pin,
attaching chains criss crossed at the appropriate length without being too loose or tight,
connecting wires and checking lights,
checking for chocks, obstructions to driving away (anything that will get run over that shouldn't), visual on tires, etc.

Don't pay a a bit better than average wage to get a bit better than average employees. Wages and associated W/C are important considerations, but so is the employee that can head off a blown engine by being diligent about things that you might have to train them on, like what/ when/ how on fluids . The guy that doesn't damage the truck or worse case scenario crush somebody with the truck, will cost a bit more, but will be worth it.

Retention versus retraining costs and lost efficiency.

One thing that I've always stressed with employees is that if they are not sure, they should ask me, and if they don't know that they can do it safely, don't do it, and let me know.

Its a great time for training (teachable moment), saves on injuries and repairs, and let's them know they should ask for training when they need it. I tell them I don't mind taking the time to train them (providing they have a future with me) a couple of times, as need be, and do mind if I have to train them every time, indefinitely.

Hire someone that wants to learn the trade. If you can not afford to pay as much as you would like, tell them that apprenticeship is part of it. The more the learn and implement, the more they earn, because they produce. Short of the desert, there are trees everywhere, so having a marketable skill set develop by working for a reputable company where the employee is valued, and as such is trained and compensated, is worth something. If you need one well-skilled ground guy and two knuckle walking brush monkeys, do that. Know what you need and develop your job positions as such. You might get one good trainable guy to be your saw and rope man on the ground, with a couple of occasional strong backs to supplement based on your workload.

Don't forget to include proper use of PPE Nick. You're right, in this day and time it seems like nobody wants to work, a smart, diligent, hard worker who shows up on time is about as rare as redwoods in Florida. When you find 'em, you BETTER take care of them!

Good point. Around here, no hard hat and no chaps is around $1000 and $2000 fine, or $2000 and $1000 from what I hear. I have been known to remind them of this. Helmets are no problem overall...easy compliance. Chaps not as much. I did buy myself and Erik chainsaw pants. I did put on chaps yesterday for a sketchy tree, but by far my biggest risk was struck-by. Setting a good example is important, and something I falter on at times with leg pro.

Back