GIMP photo manipulation

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
I needed to get some new software for photo manipulation, cleaning up some things on work pics that I couldn't do with what I had been using. I downloaded GIMP, freeware or a donation. A step down from photoshop, but it seems very good, and worked quite well for me for what I wanted to do. There is a good forum associated with it as well, two guys immediately popped up and advised me on what tools I needed to use, and it worked slick. A learning curve, but there is good information out there on how to use.

http://www.gimp.org/

Works for both mac and windows, but like in my case, mac requires some additional software download.

Photoshop is so overrated and soooo over priced. Adobe does not even supply help to the most common questions asked in all their current software. In the past if you had a question about how to do something in a program there was an answer and sometimes a short video to tell you how to do it. All on the disk. Today I have to go online to get an answer to anything. no more help from Adobe. For the price I pay for their programs this totally sucks.

Now the image editing software you can download off the internet rocks. It does the same thing adobe can, with free help at a fraction of the cost.

Adobe is not what it touts.

GIMP has been available for free since about 1996 and included in distributions of Linux.
It is a robust program and there is a large community of helpful users, as you found out, Jay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's cool you guys are using it. I could never get a handle on photoshop, it's such a big and bulky program. I've been using the software that came with my mac, and it has been adequate for the most part. The Gimp tools easily solved my problem beyond that, eliminating some unwanted background and filling in. Amazing technology.

Fireworks is part of the Adobe Creative Suite, my web guy uses that and Dreamweaver for site building.

Back