Foot Ascender question

Thanks for the tips guys, I've been trying to keep my toes down Stig and it works okay as long as I have a little weight on the rope but if it ever gets a little swing going, I'm treading air. Your right about the bigger rope Marc, but the HH seems to run smoother on the 11mm. I'll just keep at it until you either see a cheap pantin in the Tradin' Post and I get a CT or I get it down pat.

I have been using the CT for awhile now and like it better then the Petzl.

Ray, regarding weight on the line, you can hang a heavy throw weight on the line, or your climbing saw. I like the throw weight. With it, and a steel biner, I have the mass needed to advance the rope a good way, and get it to come down to me.

bigger biner in the hole,

and do you know the 'proper' motion? If I recall correctly, its described as flexing at the hip, lifting the knee, and keeping the lower leg somewhat vertical, pointing the toe.

I decided to try the Pantin as I had a few times it would have been nice to be able to kick out of my CT foot ascender.

I climbed with it as part of a rope walker system yesterday, kept my toe pointed down, had no problems and was wondering why others had trouble until I stopped to rest. After that, I couldn't go more than 2-3 steps up without it coming off the rope. Very frustrating and tiring. I found this thread again and read it last night.

Today I started learning DdRT so that I can teach it to my granddaughter in a few weeks. I used the Pantin with a DdRT hitch climber setup and noticed two things...my foot was staying more in front of me as I lifted it and the pantin did not come off the rope even once.:D

I'd say your description of the proper motion is on the spot. Thanks!

Now I have to replicate the motion with SRT.

Over three months using the ct heavily and still not one kick out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
]

Which is weak? The left foot or the pantin? :P

I chose a left CMI foot ascender, feels natural to me, even though I'm right handed. Works very well for me.

jy7u2yny.jpg

Black is the left one.

Back