European pick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't expect to either climb or descend on this...again, just a method for lifting an incapacitated climber free of an obstruction or loaded lanyard by an assisting climber. After the incap. climber is in position to be assisted down his DRT system, the asst. climber would remove the overhead pulley and prusik and manage the descent on the original configuration.

I keep seeing 'european prick' when this thread keeps popping up. I always expect to see a poll so we could vote on the nastiest european on here.

:lol:

I just got carried away by the general presidential nomination thing going on.

Thanks Burnham: Like Darin, I doubt I cld remember it when the pinch comes, but it's worth the effort. Really appreciate it.

Jay: Man you're a good writer. I may catch some flak for this, but I have to say: I like the stuff you wright very much. (Cool story about the kid on crutches.)

Ahh...I don't know him, don't beleive he's been out to Dorena for the climbing instructor's course.

His boss sent me the pic, if you want that name send me a pm, I hesitate to post it on open forums w/o permission.

Y'all are getting wack :)...RADS is an ascent system, this is merely a way to easily apply MA to shift an incapacitated climbers position upward a few feet at most to facilitate an aerial rescue.

If you insist...but I will continue to differenciate.
:)

If one were to attempt to actually ascend and descend via the set up originally posted, one would soon stop trying :D. Thus, not a RADS system in my mind.

Carl and I saw something like this last weekend at the tree climbing comp in Birmingham. They had the dummy set in a fork about 20' up. I could think of several ways to do it quicker than they did, though it's easy to judge it from an armchair.:D I didn't watch real close, but it seemed each climber had his/her own method of rescue.

It will only work with a "pulley-dependent" system though, won't it, B? I mean, tautline or Blake is out of luck as far as this method is concerned, right? And in Jer's video, he shows using a Petzl ascender with a pulley to do the same thing in Drt climbing, to create mechanical advantage. Seems it would be much quicker to put on/off line than the prussik.

Sorry, if I'm over lapping anyone here with out reading the whole thread, but this technique has been around for years. I used to teach it at my own Ar classes probably ten years ago and for this very reason. But instead of tieing another system, I would just use a ascender with micro. If they were climbing on a Tauntline or Blakes with out a micro, I would just bring one up a small biner or another micro and attach underneath their hitch.
I wont take credit for ever coming up with it, because most things have already been thought of at one time or another. I will say, that something to the same effect was taught to me by Robert Phillips who is a guru at formulating techniques for ascension and among many other things and I just applied it to this same application.

Back