Dr. Ed Gilman

vharrison

Island Girl
If you have had the opportunity to hear Dr. Gilman speak, you can imagine how excited I am for my guys. Dr. Gilman is coming to our little island on Thursday and speaking at the Marathon Government Center on Friday. His class will cover Restoration Pruning. When the planning of this event started, I got a call from the agriculture extension agent asking if Dot Palm would like to help with the "hands on" demonstration. :) Of course I said yes!!
Our lead Arborist is out with a hip replacement, so I am flying my son in law Jeff in to oversee our portion of the demonstration. He and John will meet with Dr. Gilman on Thursday to discuss which trees to prune and the methods to be used. Then Friday, there will be classroom instruction in the morning and outdoor "hands on" pruning in the afternoon. Registration is closed with 100 people signed up.
The best part, only $ 20.00 to attend hahaha. Dr. Gilman is a Professor at University of Florida and the event is being hosted by the University of Florida Agricultural Extension Agency. Finally our tax dollars are working for us. The $ 20.00 includes lunch, a dvd on Pruning and Pruning Cue Cards. Can you believe that?
I will get some pictures.

Sounds cool. I enjoyed Gilman's talk here. A field portion would have made it perfect.

We had him at our green industry convention this past february, he is awesome. He has a new book out which is a little pricey but well worth it I'm sure. I got to introduce him at New England Grows which was a huge thrill for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are from today, the guys had fun and learned alot. What an honor to be a part of this event.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 7
I don't know of any other tree care company in the keys that has higher standards than Dot Palm...they are the only company in the keys that could do the domo...very good for you gigi.

I did a work shop with Gilman about two years ago on restoration after storms. Very informative. I'll try to be there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Victor, thanks but you could have done it with no problemo! Where were you? I kept saying to John, I thought Victor would be here. You live close enough to Homestead to get CEU"S there, eh?

Victor, thanks but you could have done it with no problemo! Where were you? I kept saying to John, I thought Victor would be here. You live close enough to Homestead to get CEU"S there, eh?

I've been using the free Online Seminars for Municipal Arborists to get my CEU'S.

I knew the workshop was coming up, and i wanted to go, but time was not on my side.

Back