Do you provide health insurance

$100/mo isn't cheap if they don't get the insurance. Most young guys will just pocket the money.

love
nick

Till whit hits the fan........then suddenly 1200 a year is cheap as hell. You have to remind them things happen outside their control.....we all have something to lose, our health.

100 is dirt cheap, buy it!

$109.18 comes out my paycheck aWEEK for my insurance.me,wife+2kids and every time I go to doc or hospital I get a nice bill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Regarding giving them the $100/month- what I'm saying is that it defeats the purpose. If I gave the $100/mo and they actually got insurance with the money, then yes, that's a sweet deal for the company.

But the point of company health insurance is to have a stronger work force, less sick days, improve quality of life in your employees, increase employee retention, etc.

If they just use the $100 to take the wife to dinner and a movie, my investment isn't providing most of those benefits. $1,200/yr is expensive if it's not being used wisely.

We did the math and our tiny 6 person company will spend over $15,000 on health insurance this year.

love
nick

Seems reasonable to me. Workers comp was 28 k for crew of three here. My health coverage was 10 k for family of four.

Health insurance is just that....does not make you healthier, just helps pay the bill when shit goes down. It will not change your lost days etc.....

What was WC for a crew of six in Cali.......just curious

Everyone has minimal coverage or just above that. We've got people on anthem, health net and kaiser.

Health insurance doesn't change lost days, but health CARE does. Folks with health insurance are more likely to get the care they need.

We're doing our end of the year financial right now. I'll report back on the workers comp info.

love
nick

NoBivy you were close. But we have to adjust your math. We only pay workers comp on 4 of us. Karina and I are owners and therefore not required to have WC.

For the 4 guys it was $35-40,000....there's some adjusting that's going to happen so I don't know the exact amount right now, but that's the range.

love
nick

That's a good question :)

We have two rates- one "landscaper rate" while everyone is on the ground- cleaning up, planting, fertilizing, etc. then another high risk tree guy rate when we have anyone on a ladder, roof or tree.

I think it's 17 and 47% respectively. When the guys put their hours on the time sheet, they write in how many hours were worked more or less with someone up in the air.

So we've submitted a report that covers our overall time and we will supposedly get a check back (doubtful) to compensate us for all the time no one was actually up in the air

love
nick

Lucky for you.....they don't care what we are doing here. All the tree guy rate.

I was wonderimg if wc rate can change based on what the guy is doing. My guys dont leave the ground. Drag brush, rake, clean up, etc. seems silly paying 38% on a guy who stands there. Now i know why people put tree service and lamdscape under their name.

Doubtful..... My ins considers being on a tree care site hazardous . Truthflly it's the ground guys who are hurt more

What class code do you guys use for mechanical work? Such as when your guys are doing maintenance at the shop?

I know that my boss pays different rates on different jobs. Anything that is part of treework though is one rate while the other divisions of the company are way less.

Back