Climber Set Speedline

Jack

Treehouser
Looking for some speedline advice from the experts -

BACKGROUND: recently did a large Eastern White Pine removal - no drop zone below - speedline worked great {a personal favorite} ... BUT -
resetting speedline for each whorl = remove slings + release anchor + set speedline at next whorl + re-tention line + reset anchor = climber + groundie

Groundie does most of the speedline setting while climber waits ... Seems inefficient IMO.

So ... if the anchor could stay fixed and the climber moves the tie-point and re-tensions, the groundie could be freed up to deal with the branches & slings.

Thought I try a few ideas:

Climber Set Speedline: Concept #1 - based upon a Mini-POW {vid below}
This is the first of a planned series videos to test various concepts for positioning, tensioning & securing a speedline by the climber, while in the tree, without the need to interrupt ground support activity.

Coming soon ... ?
Climber Set Speedline: Concept #2 - based upon a sling & friction hitch
Then, maybe ... ?
Climber Set Speedline: Concept #3 - with a rope grab
Maybe use the Rope Jack to tension ?

I'm hoping for recommendations of other concepts to test and video - 'or-a-fo-get-a-bout-it' :)

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WrieVyXX1Os" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

popcorn.gif

Im glad you posted this. So many times it's so easy to make things more difficult than they need to be. Your vid reminded of some thing I will use on the job tomorrow.
I have used the figure 8 in the pic the same way you made use of the porty.

Attachments

• asc204-500.gif
    asc204-500.gif
    61.3 KB · Views: 8
Nice video editing! How was your groundie taking up tension on the line? I have a steel biner on the end of my speed line and just girth it around tree. On small branches we take up slack a couple of different ways depending on how big the pieces are. Half the time around a tree or over the rack on my truck is enough. I do not like the idea of the climber taking up the tension. Climbing up a tree with a rope on you that is tied off on the ground is a drag.

Great video Jack... Man you have clean and shiny gear :D
I have done as you describe in the video. Only with say a HO that is just aiding me on a few items. When Rob and I speed line with the Z rig, it is much more efficient. Once the brush sets are lined out, he just slackens the line at the Z rig and I get the next set ready. By the time I am ready with the next set, he usually has everything off the line and also dragged out. I rarely have to wait on him. I hollar, "line set... tension", and then he is ready. Only thing that slows his end down is multiple large sets. 4, 20 foot limbs and it takes him a minute. Might have to add a drink of water to my next set up :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. The POW & saddle are brand new (my first non-4D, LOL). But, I'm fairly fussy about my gear. Anyway, most of the time I'm working with an HO, so I minimize their rigging chores. That's what started all this. On a white pine, I can run 10-20 slings down before I need to re-set.

I'm liking the 8, Jeff ... I'd forgotten all about that ... gotta get the one you show. BTW, like the new avatar - lot less scary than the last one. :D

Right you are, Darin, I usually don't climb any distance with a rope or saw or other gear ... get to height and haul up stuff with the tail of my climb line - you can just barely see that in the time-lapse bit.

Jack
Excellent video!!!=D> I have run into the same thought to.I do basically the samething but instead on the pow being in the tree with me i do a base ty and then for where I'm working I use a pulley and a loopie. I found this works well for me also, and it's pretty qiuck to reset. But will keep this in mind for when working just with a homeowner. Again excellent vid and keep more of your idea's coming.

Ben

Jack, if you are in the market for a rescue 8 with ears, let me really encourage you to look at the RQ3 as an alternative design. The side mounted ears are a huge improvement.

Really nice video, btw.

I've seen the RQ3's but never would have considered it without your recommendation. I've found one rated at 58kN ... that ought to do ... Thanks, B! :)

I'll second burnham's recommondation.
He turned me onto it about 5 years ago, and my crew just love them.

A munter hitch can be tightened fairly well with a redirect to the line via a loop or micrograb, then tied off.

I would use a grigri for anything under 200 lbs maybe a bit more. You can tighten a grigri WAY up with a RADS like setup. I have used it for many a rope zipline with nary a problem.

Jack top rate video editing!
I have though much about this also.
And had done a pine where I set the porta wrap semi high in the tree. One wrap and fed the tail to a fig 8 to lock off my tension. loose to put the straps on tension cut and be able to release. I could work the basket hitched fig8 up as I went .
Not sure how a shorter run would go mine was rather long when I did it.

I've run the rope through a friction hitch and pulley, then tightened with a foot ascender and body weigh. Lighter and more compact than a POW.

I've run the rope through a friction hitch and pulley, then tightened with a foot ascender and body weigh. Lighter and more compact than a POW.

Thanks, Sean ... hitch is next on my vid agenda ... :)

Jack,

Have you tried a grigri?
Nick,

Not yet, for rigging ... but it, and others, are on the list. I must confess some apprehension about most mechanicals in 'shock' rigging. The only one I'm comfortable with is a Chicago Grip. But, that may be over the top. Although, Mr. Beranek does show one in use on page 27 in his Fundamentals.

I suspect that the winner will be the hitch, like Sean suggests. But, I'm trying to keep an open mind and entertain all approaches. :)

Do you always have a ground man?
From an earlier post:
... most of the time I'm working with an HO, so I minimize their rigging chores. That's what started all this. ...

However, if I do need some real help, I'll call in a favor and schedule a good groundie I've worked with before.

Back