Chest roller

maggies dad

TreeHouser
Have any of yall ever built a chest roller? I would like to try one for srt. I watched a guy climb with one on you tube, and I think it would help me.

I have a PMI Chest Roller and harness which allows your arms to do nothing. It's a real energy saver.

I find that now that I have built my arms up a little I don't use it often, even though I'd like to, because of it's interaction with the Hitch Hiker. My highest normal climbs are ~80'.

The problem is that at least with my setup (NT Onxy rope bridge saddle and HH), the chest roller works fine until I try to sit back into the saddle at which point it is pressing down on the hitch preventing it from grabbing. My less than ideal work around is to attach the HH with a short sling that places it above the chest roller and the roller will tend the HH upwards as I climb. Once I sit in the harness the HH hitch is toward the limit of my reach and right or wrong, I'm not mentally comfortable hanging from the sling. I tend to tie off and remove the sling at the top of a climb when I'm done with the roller.

No videos. FWIW, heres a photo from the first try in the sitting position. The last time I climbed with the roller, I used a 4" Petzl Express Sling instead of the blue webbing in the photo and it worked very well.

IMG_4339 (Small).JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That looks like what I want, the croll looks good too. Having never used either I assume the croll will help you stay upright similar to the roller? What kind of harness would you use with the croll? I think it would be very nice after 6 hrs in the 100 degree heat to have alittle help. Well, that and Iam lazy:)

That looks like what I want, the croll looks good too. Having never used either I assume the croll will help you stay upright similar to the roller? What kind of harness would you use with the croll? I think it would be very nice after 6 hrs in the 100 degree heat to have alittle help. Well, that and Iam lazy:)
You will possibly load the croll before the HH if your redirection point fails. Ascender teeth can be damaging to your rope. Beware.

Back