can a foot ascender be used as a knee ascender ?

In my estimation, if where the bottom strap lines up the proper action of the cam, why not? I was considering the same, I really like the CMI foot ascender (tooth pattern and configuration) and I was going to buy another to convert, but opted for a DMM, kinda wish I went the CMI route and used it as a knee ascender.

That is what Gerry used to make his rope walker set up as I recall. Basically a knee ascender. He just stitched a loop to it I think....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5-_GUggGMmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I modified my CMI foot ascender into a knee ascender... I have cleaned it up since this picture but you get the idea knee ascender 002.jpg

I think that might cause feed problems for the foot ascender and a loss of efficiency and balance, especially while the foot ascender is engaged holding your body weight and you lift your knee ascender up, depending on orientation, the rope could run against the teeth on the cam.

I cut petzl hand ascender into a floating ascender. Good locking mechanism built right in.

The foot loop is good foot
For being able to spread your legs.

I, like some other people, had the problem with my Petzl foot ascender popping off my foot unexpectedly when I first started learning to climb. The fact that I could not rely on it caused me to buy a CMI foot ascender, which I like much better. I ended up just putting the Petzl foot ascender into one of my storage boxes and never using it, until I read about the HAAS. So I decided to try using the Petzl foot ascender as a knee ascender, just so it would not go to waste. It's very crude, but I just tied some webbing strap onto one of the Petzl straps to create a foot loop, and tied some bungee cord onto another strap for the top part of the equation. It will pop off once in awhile if it's not oriented properly, but I don't mind it as much as when it happens when used as a foot ascender. It's more of a supplemental thing now, and I like it.

I still don't have the rope walker thing dialed in yet; I do more of a "sit-stand" style of climbing right now. I keep trying, though. I just recently stitched together a webbing strap that fits almost too tightly around my chest. I still need to add the shoulder straps. I'm hoping when it's done that it will work to hold me in tight to the rope and enable me to do the "rope walker" successfully. Up to now, I always seem to hang back from the rope too far, and it takes too much energy pulling myself in with my arms to have it feel comfortable. Certain other people make it all look so easy. (Randy, I'm talking to you!) I'll get it one of these days.

Tim

I think that part of the ropewalking motion is down and back, not just down, for what its worth.

A biner through the hole will hold the cam in place, preventing a pop-off. If its a new petzl with no hole, you could likely drill one.

Sean, thank you for the advice on both counts. Much appreciated. Next time I take another swing at the rope walker setup I'll keep that advice in mind.

Tim

Back