Buying a new harness and rigging rope

Wood Collector,

I checked out the rope you were looking at. There is nothing in the listing showing the manufacturer's name, nor any rating specifications. I'm all but sure that the rope in question is a cheap import.

You'll need to decide if this rope will get you by until such time as you can earn enough money to buy a rated rigging rope made by a reputable company. You could always use the unrated rope as a tag line or haul line, although it would be a bit large for those duties.

Your pulley likely has a relatively long axle, as you say it is capable of handling larger diameter ropes. If your side plates are spaced far apart, the axle may bend, or be seriously stressed. Over time, a stressed axle will crack and fail.....and usually at the most critical moment.......when it's under load.

Joel

5530kg breaking.
I am sure it will be fine to use in a tree but how long it will last I am not sure. I like to follow a 1/10 working load to breaking load in all of my tree work.

Looks pretty close. The stuff I have is 5/8 inch nylon double braid dock line, I think it's made by Canada Cordage.

IMG3071.jpg

One small manufacturer business that I have bought stuff from (RedPoint Ropes, Orillia, ON) produces double braid polyester rope that is fairly inexpensive. I asked them once about climbing line. They have zero interest; something about much higher insurance premiums.
Anyhow, here is a screenshot of the rope specs of one of their products:

image.jpg

11-12,000 lbs for about 5/8ths rope is crap IMO

Yeah, there is better / stronger rope. You get what you pay for, I guess.
At Expo, I talked to one vendor (if I remember correctly, the guys selling Kong biners upstairs) that had a chunk of large dia. Manila cordage on display, and he said they sell tons of it! To boat builders, owners, museums, etc. that need/want the real McCoy.
I was suprised to see how low the breaking strength is for that stuff.

image.jpg

Xtc fire for me . Good chit. But Im going 1/2 and 9/16 in something desighned for rigging when I get up the money. Think I will stick to yale cant go wrong. Imo

Hey bermy how u been haven't heard from u in awhile. I like the xtc cause its cheap and its yale. Im partial to yale products.

99% of my rigging is done with half inch. I have out some loads on half inch that would shock some folks. Probably wouldn't phase other folks but you get the point. All depends how I'm putting the load onto the rope and how much I trust the groundman. A lot of times ill rig a tree a little differently to avoid having to dump heavy loads dead into a rope. I'd rather double crotch some stuff and tip tie a heavy load and let it slide down out of the tree gently. My desire to butt tie big loads onto a heavy line and make all kinds of commotion have passed. I'm finding sometimes going nice and easy gets the tree down, cleaned up, and turned into a check faster then raising all kinds of hell with huge rigging. Sure, the tree comes down fast but the clean up becomes tougher then it needs to be.

Back