Building my own comp...need help

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
hey guys, looking into building my own computer. I've gotten back into PC gaming, so I've been looking to buy or build one to replace my little laptop I have right now. If I recall, a few houser's on here have built their own comp or at least probably know more about it than me. Hoping you guys can help point me in the direction I need to go as far as parts and stuff I need goes. Its been awhile since I've dug into a PC, so some help would be appreciated in choosing parts and what not. Price isn't a huge concern, kinda looking to buy it piece by piece, so its not in one lump sum. Looking for:

-awesome gaming PC. want to be able to play all major(World of Warcraft, etc) games on decent graphics setting.
-graphics card with HDMI capability built in.
-Blu-Ray burner/drive...most likely getting hooked up to my HD tv or a nice monitor
-1TB hard drive
-at least 4GB of RAM, would like 8GB
-built in wireless capability
-quad core processor(like to stick with Intel here)

Any tips you guys can offer is much appreciated. Looking to make this comp last awhile and not be outdated in a year or two. I'll post progress on this thread, and parts I'm looking at getting. At the moment, I'm having a hard time finding a good graphics card, so any help there is welcome. Pretty sure I have the processor picked out, along with the Blu-Ray drive and case.

Just me, but I prefer a card that does not rely on a mounted fan but a fan can be mounted or directed on it. Depends on how high def or resolution your graphics are. Empire Earth did fine with my card with out a fan. But for the game you exampled, the card will more than likely need it. Down side.. fan can and probably will die in 2-3 years. New card time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
2-3 years should be fine....graphic cards seem to change the most the quickest, so I could upgrade then anyways I think.

Yeah.. the tech moves quick.
Make sure you make note of all the power you are going to need in watts for your power supply...
Find a nice tower that is expandable to keep it all cool. I run ATX mid size tower. I have size restraints. Happy with the one I bought last. Lots of slots. Try to find a well rated board 1156 platform that will take the ram (4 slots) you will need. I like at least 2 PCI, 2 PCIE 16 and 2 PCIE 2. One PCIE 2 might inhibit you for more add on and expanding vid cards. 6 SATA ports at least. New Egg is a good place to buy from. I am not so much a gamer.. I don't need the type of system you are building. But I do like expandability. I like to keep my system for 5 plus years. BUS speeds.. They cost money so you will know what you can afford as you put it together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
sweet man, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be posting in this thread as i acquire the parts and what not.

I've built 4 or 5. It's been a few years though. I bought these last 2 computers that I use so I don't know if I can be much help or not.

The technoligy changes so fast it's nearly impossible keep up with it .The price however has been reduced considerabley over the years .

Even on the high priced industrial control systems I work on for machine drives they almost become obsolete in a couple years .

I personally think it's a money game .After a peroid of time the manufacturer just stops supporting the product even though it might still be functioning properly as it was designed to .Software is the same game .Master plan the way I see it .

I've got a couple of Modicon micro 984 systems complete hardware ,controller ,I/o boards including the software ,freebies .Now if and when I decide to do anything with them it's highly unlikely I can get them to work .

Ha it's been so long since I worked on those systems I'd about have to relearn them any way .:lol:

Back