ALL GEAR ropes?

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 43
  • Views 5K
I'm thinking of some other xxx-it names...

Heave-it

Chunk-it

Toss-it

Snag-it

Wedge-it

Stick-it

Goddamm-it

Phuck-it

Leave-it

:)

I've used a piece of their Forestry Pro before and didn't like it much. But then again, it only cost about 1/2 as much as Arbormaster. All Gear has been a decent company to work with, except for always being delayed. Being smaller than the big 3, they are more willing/able to come up with new designs. As far as I know, they are the only ones to come out with a 7/16" 16 strand so far.

How about the rip off name on a rip off product?

I never noticed it was any better than Zing It, since it's essentially the same stuff.

Cept' it's square in cross section. lower cost, and orange. Good stuff after it gets a full runout or two.

How does the orange, square cross section help? Square make for easier throwing? I don't have trouble seeing my yellow Zing it.

I like orange. Square don't help at all as far as I can tell. But, it is different, maybe even stupid. Which, when I drink good bourbon is one of my favorite pastimes.:evil:

Jerry it's poor taste to rip off a product and/or it's name. Zing It doesn't have anything to do with it's use, neither does slick line or other names.

Yeah- I never liked that they do that. They had some ropes that were the same color patterns as ropes from the big 3. That was a little poor taste. I can't remember what ropes they were though....

As far as I know, they are the only ones to come out with a 7/16" 16 strand so far.

I applaud them for this. I've asked folks for that in the past and was told either that it can't be done or it wasn't a good idea.

They sent me a hank of it to try out, but they sent it to a not-so-local arb supplier and I have to try to yorba linda to pick it up...

This thread inspires me to call them tomorrow and see if they still have it.

love
nick

Names for lines and rope is so often like names for drugs. Lately, for rope, most the names imply their color schemes.

You could just generic label them all. White in color, no tracers. three strand twisted, 12 strand square, 16, 24 strand double braid, and kerrmantle 1 and 2. That's pretty the line up regardless of name or color scheme. Throughout the industry the machines, yarns and braid types are very standardized.

So most arborists grade ropes are pretty much all the same. Aside from the diameters most differences are subtle and will give a different feel to a rope. And that comes mostly from tension in the braids and seldom from the actual material, yarns, themselves.

I love it when people can't make up their mind on which rope to buy and so they post questions on the forums asking for help from others to guide their decision. And it usually starts members quibbling over which rope is the best.

Not so long ago three strand twisted manila was the only choice the arborist had. And it was the best their was.

Back