alcohol

I respect that, Jay, sorry, it's a sour subject for me.
Don't think for a second I don't know I'm walking a razors edge! I've gone both ways and both can be ugly and nasty!
I'm not proposing to have the answers, but most of what we get isn't an answer, or very helpful, in fact, at all!

I think the whole issue is a very deep problem when it comes to health treatment. I don't know if it's even possible, but in many cases, people don't get the attention from medical personnel that they need to become well again. Over here the doctors in the main, simply thow drugs at people, which to a large extent is where their profits come from. You might go in for something and they barely look at you, attention is on their laptops and write a prescription. It's hard to find a good physician, People don't have confidence in doctors. I guess it is what you are saying too. Poor treatment can really compound the difficulties.

Because I'm a Christian, the real issue for me is drunkenness. However... for me... this is a very slippery slope. Ever try to define drunkenness? I simply can't. I drink every day. I love it. I use it to treat depression. I use it to treat boredom. I use it to tread aches and pains. I use it to get a different perspective. (The ancient Assyrian governors used to debate everything twice before coming to a descision--once when they were drunk, and once when they were sober.)

In short. I am a user.

My own definition of drunkenness is when I become irritating to my wife, or when I wake up with a headache. I weigh 155 lbs dripping wet, so for me, having worked really hard... this usually means two strong ales on an empty stomach. But how can you say for sure????? Everybody weighs a different amount, and everyone metabolizes the drink differently.

I just don't want to be a "drunkard," whatever that means. Christ who was called "a drunkard and a glutton," by liars, and who made over 200 gallons of wine at the wedding feast in Canna, also said, "Drunkards will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." .... Man... In my case... I sure hope he's runnin' with a lenient definition.

The whole mentality of modern medicine is whack! I can't tell you all the pills they've tried to throw at me! "This isn't doing it, so let's throw some Tramadol on top of it." Look that up some time! You want some messed up dreams, this is for you! My wife and I were both having affairs, it was cool? But somehow, my wife was who I was having the affair with and I knocked her up? I mean off the wall crazy dreams!
But that's not an issue, we can give you something else?
I went two months without anything, but the pain got to me, I begged the wife to take me to the ER. I was told I was an alcoholic, a drug abuser and a wife beater by the attending physician? Yes, I was well over the legal limit but having to beg her to take me to the ER means I threatened her? Guess I'll drive myself next time, there's no way to win anymore.

Because I'm a Christian, the real issue for me is drunkenness. However... for me... this is a very slippery slope. Ever try to define drunkenness? I simply can't. I drink every day. I love it. I use it to treat depression. I use it to treat boredom. I use it to tread aches and pains. I use it to get a different perspective. (The ancient Assyrian governors used to debate everything twice before coming to a descision--once when they were drunk, and once when they were sober.)

In short. I am a user.

My own definition of drunkenness is when I become irritating to my wife, or when I wake up with a headache. I weigh 155 lbs dripping wet, so for me, having worked really hard... this usually means two strong ales on an empty stomach. But how can you say for sure????? Everybody weighs a different amount, and everyone metabolizes the drink differently.

I just don't want to be a "drunkard," whatever that means. Christ who was called "a drunkard and a glutton," by liars, and who made over 200 gallons of wine at the wedding feast in Canna, also said, "Drunkards will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." .... Man... In my case... I sure hope he's runnin' with a lenient definition.
Interesting post thanks.
Ps it's about time you got yourself an avatar!

Ive noticed that if I drink regularly I'm much more irritable, easily frustrated and unmotivated etc. Its not as a result of a big night or hangover but just an overall condition, much greater mental clarity and positivity without it- but also more boring.

No worries, Jed. Sorry, I was just venting.

I think that that was half the point of this thread once Franz bailed on it. A better man that I has to write some book called, "How to Use the Drink to Vent While Keeping the Upper Hand," or something. Best of luck on er. I'm in a bragging mood, because I've no headache this morning, but it just as easily could have been, "Dear God, please forgive me, blah, blah blah, blah..." for the ten-thousandth time. I don't want to make an infinite being, infinitely sick of me.

Mick: I'll try to have my daughter throw one up. Of course, I couldn't manage it. (Or would Butch just be able to make the drool smilie my avatar.)

Some of the funnest & funniest times in my life were while drinking or using....With that said I have now been 5 years sober & this has been the most peaceful, productive years of my life.
There is a lot to be said about facing life,death & ones short comings with out retreat or escape.
I have no judgement or issue with those who enjoy the drink or use, or do so in excess. I just don't have much time for those with whom it has become an issue.

Some of the funnest & funniest times in my life were while drinking or using....With that said I have now been 5 years sober & this has been the most peaceful, productive years of my life.
There is a lot to be said about facing life,death & ones short comings with out retreat or escape.
I have no judgement or issue with those who enjoy the drink or use, or do so in excess. I just don't have much time for those with whom it has become an issue.

And yet you still hang out with me:lol:

Um what is knife crime? Just the obvious? If so, is there an epidemic of it, or what

Knife crime is that guy, Dustin, that was arrested in Wisconsin for carrying a switchblade, and under the cop's care he received a nearly severed spine and death.

if there were no knives then, what's next, club crime? They be wanting to reduce the size of a stick that someone can carry.

Humans will always find a way of killing, maiming, and injuring one another.

It's just the tools and techniques that vary.

There is/was a problem with young men especially carrying knives, so when a fight erupts they come out and get used.
So whereas under normal circumstances a fight would result in fisticuff type injuries (broken bones etc) with knives people were/are dying.
There is a comparison of course to guns which is what we're dancing around here.

Back