1298 to 1302 points ~ Sequoia sempervirens

mdvaden

Treehouser
Just got a confirmation of a 3rd diameter measure for one Coast Redwood we found last year. Height points and circumference points combined are 1283 not counting 1/4 crown spread points. I see two crowns on Google Earth at the coordinates. The scale shows one as 60 to 70 feet wide and the other near 80 feet wide. I can't see what's in the shadows. All that put together, the redwood surpasses the American Forests Sequoia sempervirens 1291 point champion. And isn't very far from General Sherman's 1321 points.

This redwood seems to be 1298 to 1302 points. Updates go to the following page:

Updates >> http://www.mdvaden.com/redwood_year_discovery.shtml

If a research team goes up there someday, there's a small chance a few feet not visible to Chris's laser may be taller. And more width that can't be seen in the shadows. 1310 points is probably the max, but I think its closer to 1300.

The image below was adjusted slightly to give the same feel as if an ultrawide angle lens was used 40 feet to the left. Since it was not possible to go 40 feet left due to tall vegetation, this is how that shot would look. The trunk is huge regardless. Its actual dbh does exceed that of General Sherman

Chris Atkins checked height. Michael Taylor checked the dbh. And Ron Hildebrant checked preliminary volume. Taylor is evaluating a point cloud map for future volume numbers. It cranks-out an almost 3-D model of the bole

Discover_PCRSP.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does that actually exist? Is it like someone taking a picture with a deer from 20 feet behind it to make the deer look bigger?

Something that big would scare me to death. Gonna have to see that someday.

It's a little bit like that effect.

But, that redwood is 30 feet wide chest-high on the side shown above, and it reaches 36 feet left of me, outside the lower left corner of the image. Not optically 30 feet wide, but real-life measuring tape 30 feet wide. So its real

Thanks mdvaden: So amazing. Yeah, Jim and Fiddler... you guys got to see those pigs. Unforgettable.

She's a beauty. Love to hug that one.

Wish I could help you get your arms around it. Although, these are really off the beaten path. And with the research permit conditions I signed and agreed to last year, I'm more constrained than with certain other redwoods.

This one, around 1300 points, is in the 40,000 cu. ft. range.

There's other we found that we haven't posted posted photos of anywhere. One, we estimate in the 46,000 cu. ft. range if all the reiterations are added the same way Iluvatar's were for its 37,500 cu. ft.

Going to take some time though, to find out some stuff.

There's no question though, you've seen some redwoods over the years, that likewise I wish I could see, or have seen. Just glad to know you're fit enough to still be out there soaking it in.

Thanks mdvaden: So amazing. Yeah, Jim and Fiddler... you guys got to see those pigs. Unforgettable.

You are welcome.

The tall trees clan sort of went into overdrive the last couple years. The main thing was still old fashion leg work. Bushwhacking like hell to cover new territory.

But a few of the guys did employ some technology and gadgetry. In fact, I understand one of the "tall trees club" may have gotten "spanked" for utilizing a drone and camera to sample crowns from a birds-eye view.

A few of us knew of a few good hunting grounds from LiDAR data utilized for a measuring project a few years ago.

And there's a couple of new guys who just happen to have keen eyes for spotting stuff. One being Zane Moore, who has found a bunch more albino redwoods.

When you look at the picture it's kind of difficult to take in.

Maybe this sounds odd, but it's almost harder to take in the size standing next to it. I only began to realize its size when I stood back a ways and someone else stood next to it.

American Forests requested a few photos from last year. I sent a few images from our exploration but did not identify which photo is what tree. The largest redwoods have been withheld from them for nomination at the present.

Partly due to loose lips of the Oregon Big Tree Registry verification a few years ago.

But they apparently are going to do some brief story in one of the upcoming magazines.

I thought it would be more interesting anyway, to leave the images unidentified and add a hint of mystery for the readers.

That's cool, Mario. Best of luck with your pursuits. I hope your trees make the register.

For myself, off trail, steep ground, old-growth exploring is out of my league anymore. Old football injury. I'll stick to the ridge-tops and flats and venture off trail where it's easy.

Love your reports! Thank you.

Back