The Official Work Pictures Thread

:thumbup:

Once you move things with a machine it's hard to envision ever going back to slicing and dicing and lifting and grunting. No way.

Nasty little bugger all right.

They seem a bit like the Oak Processionally Moth OPM Caterpillars.

Rather you than me mate. Do you wear any special PPE when removing the trees? I have worked with a few firms who have had ro remove OPM in the past. Luckily I haven't had to do any. They wear Hazmat suits and respirators with the cuffs and head line taped up etc.

S’funny because sometimes (usually in warmer weather) we are all covered up with masks and specs, yet exposed skin can become very itchy for days.

Today, sub zero temps, no trouble at all. The lads were wearing handkerchief type masks in the morning, but then gave up.

That's one good thing about wasps - they love to chow down on those friggin worms.

The first time I saw that I was all like "Well good for you, buddy! I thought all you ever did was sting the shit outta people!"

7a1b0869b6916c4a0ea0a5aa530b83a1.jpg

Beast ring rigging today. Fun day.

Aug

Been away for two days, so some late comments.

Stephen, yhat was some beautiful work.
You really have a good eye for pruning.

Rich, I loved the city horse logging.
Didn't look like a fjordhest, do you know what kind it was?

He has a few Stig. Him and his older brother are one of the only companies left to use horses. NRK had a documentary on them late last year.

He has mentioned in the past that they use a Belgian breed but I don't k ow of that was one of the Belgians. He did say it weighs just under 950 kilo but one of his bigger ones tops out nearly 1100.

Solid muscle they were. Pretty cool seeing them stop immediately with just a sound from the guy. He makes a 'Brrrr' sound and they stop dead.

I worked with horses both in the wood and in the field in Schweiz in my youth.
Absolutely loved it.
There is no market for it here, otherwise I'd do it.

I love the big draft horses. Unfortunately the one we bought had a leg defect , so we returned her to the seller.

Yep, she is part ingredience in an Italian mass market lasagne, now.

Bummer, because she was such a nice horse.
But a lame horse is like no horse.

Butch, I didn't much enjoy having to send that horse back.
Broke my heart, to tell you the truth.
She had the best friendly, easygoing personality you can imagine.
But we don't have room or feed for useless animals.

One thing about horse logging that those who haven't done it might not fully appreciate, it is ultra low impact. The skidding trails tend to be about 6' wide with zero rutting. It can be hard to tell anything was skidded out.

They probably got some power to em.

What's up with those gorgeous hills beyond?

Great run of pictures guys!

FAB pruning Stephen!
And Max, always love the snow pics from St. Petersburg :)

Here are some pictures of my busted elm from the mini storm last week. Even though the branch has a bad split I didn't want to cut it all off completely at one go, would have left a really big hole in the canopy. When we went back three days later the leaves on the broken branch I had trimmed were still green and not wilted, so I decided to support it with Cobra bracing.
In discussion with the owner we decided to reduce the length of the rest of the lower branches, to raise them up a bit to more match the broken and trimmed one.
Everyone was happy with the result.

Attachments

• DSC02141.jpg
    DSC02141.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02151.jpg
    DSC02151.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02166.jpg
    DSC02166.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 47
And some more...