Fishing 2016

We used to target them mainly as bait for the Yellowtail Kingfish (Amber Jack) using japanese imitation prawn lures. Did take take some for the table once and it tasted incredibly good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Squid are outstanding and so are tripletail. My most favorite fighting and eating fish (today anyway). This one put up a tremendous fight, went around the anchor chain on a channel marker but luckily I was able to open the bail on my reel and follow him with the boat to prevent a cutoff. They seem to be getting bigger. P5240718.jpg

That's a big fish!

Nice looking shed for your toys. You live in some nice woods it looks like.

The water was crystal clear and I got to sight fish for some speckled trout and redfish (this one had multiple spots) this morning off the beach at Dog Island. Doggone it, I had to leave them and go to work but it was fun while it lasted. IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0790.JPG IMG_0786.JPG

Your the man Ray. Love seeing them pictures! Well, love-hate thing.

I love looking at those pics, but I hate sitting here watching it rain, thinking about going broke and moving to Florida!

I have a little pond on the place that is full and has been for a couple of years. Grandpa used to stock it with Rainbow and Kamloops trout. Some of my favorite memories are from fishing there, year round.

I have been in a swivet to stock it again, by god I think I am going to do it. Maybe take my kayak out there too.

.30 cents an inch for trout. Not too bad. Could put 500 or so in there, with help from the folks. It froze to the bottom one year and then went dry the next, so no more fishies.

I have a little pond on the place that is full and has been for a couple of years. Grandpa used to stock it with Rainbow and Kamloops trout. Some of my favorite memories are from fishing there, year round.
We had a dug pond on the farm as a boy Jim and it was the same with me. I seined up some bass and bream fingerlings from another lake and stocked it myself and spent a lot of time there. With some fish in it, your kids will enjoy your pond like that too.

Just awesome big Ray! great pics ;)

If I lived closed to you i think we would be out fishing/casting a lot brother!!

Stock that pond, Jim.
I owned a property with a small natural lake on it once. Lots of fish in there.
Froze to the bottom one winter ( That was back when we still had winters) and they all died.

I sold the property before I got around to having it restocked.

Had one absolutely huge pike in there that I'd been trying to hook for a couple of years without luck.
Just from watching his bow wave ( What do you call it when it is fish?) when he swam close to the surface, I knew he was real big.
One day my wife had a friend visit with two small ( Say 5 and 7 ) kids.
Not being used to kids and looking for some way to entertain them, I figured they'd probably like to go fishing.
So we went down to the lake and since they were from the city, they had no idea how to fish.
So I said: " I'll show you how it is done" ( I've often laughed about that line afterwards)
Cast a spinning lure and first throw, the big pike hit it.
I landed the damned crocodile, but just as I got him up on the bank, wriggling around and showing that barracuda like mouth that pikes have , the hook slipped and he went back in.
So I turned to the kids and ask if they wanted to try.

Nope!

Didn't even want to go near the water in fact.

Great story Stig. Pike can be hard to hook, they have a hard mouth. Lotsa teeth as you say.

Yeah, I gotta stock that sucker. Probably get it stocked for 750 bucks or so.

I could get the state to do it, but then I gotta let every Tom Dick and Harry fish.

Thats a great story stig.

I remember my dad transplanting a pike in to a farm pond I used to fish. I never did catch him over the years. Dad did find him floating in the pond many many years later though.

My son has hooked and fought 2 muskys so far this year. 1 on 4lb test and crappie rig. It was about 30 inches and got it netted with to small of a net. The fish was hanging half out and came unhooked in net and fell back into water instead of boat.

About 2-3 days later, #2 was about 40 inches on 10lb test and bass spinner. Got him beside the boat and the fish realized what was happening finally and through the lure.

He has a monster #3 follow lure to the boat but never hit.

Have a video of the smaller one. Cant get video off his smartphone to embed here.

Sunday at the Sandusky River during the white bass run.

Caught a mess 13" to 15".

16" and bigger is a fish Ohio award fish. We caught none but son was close with 15".

Son in pic

13292955_1314453985250944_993051409_n.jpg

13227189_1314437248585951_2558797213447933321_n.jpg

Great pic of a proud, fine looking young man! I love that. Not enough Dads take the time anymore, hat's off!

Stig, we call it a wake but you got the point across. Great pike story. We don't have them here, just a smaller cousin, the chain pickerel. Plenty of 'cuda in the salt though, nasty critters that seem aloof and haughty. They laze around until an opportune time and then turn into toothy lightning bolts, cutting fish in half so fast it has to be seen to be believed.

If I lived closed to you i think we would be out fishing/casting a lot brother!!
I have no doubt Scott, it would be an honor too sir.

Plenty of 'cuda in the salt though, nasty critters that seem aloof and haughty. They laze around until an opportune time and then turn into toothy lightning bolts, cutting fish in half so fast it has to be seen to be believed.

Cool cuda story!! You pegged their disposition! I've seen em one time when snorkeling, extremely impressive and yeah they kind of ooze personality. Interesting I think that this rookie could see them 1x and detect that personality, shows how pronounced it is. Personality-wise, maybe they are the fish version of Jay's Giant Asian Hornets....piss them off and it is not going to end well.

Very interesting indeed Cory, Oliver White seems like quite a character that has had a close call or three in his life. The arapaima looks like a cross between a tarpon and a bowfin, which also both roll and gulp air. I made a trip up a tributary of the Amazon years ago and actually got to see some rolling. I understood that the natives there ate them at every opportunity as well, but piranha seemed to be the most abundant food fish.

Back