020 avs gas tank

Sawsloth

Treehouser
Wondering if anyone whos cracked open the gas tank on the 020av noticed if it was painted. Mine has paint in it but it doesn't look like a factory job, and the paint is starting to flake and clog the gas filter. Cracked the whole deal apart with the intent to clean the loose paint off. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ah Sawsloth, finally you manned up and joined :) This is Ethan, a guy I work with time to time, solid worker who doesn't stop. Welcome mate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who painted the inside of my gas tank, Andreas Stihl or some knuckle head?

Whaddya know! It worked!

Hey Benn, thanks for the warm welcome!
Thanks for the reply but that ones a newer model then the one i've got, mines the die cast magnesium clamshell type with the tank that splits into two pieces. s-l1600.jpg its this heavy bastard.

I see the slot head screws were replaced with socket heads,damned good idea.Slots should have never been used in the first place .I thought

the Germans were smarter than that .

I've got an 020 AV top handle that needs a carb rebuild .You have to nearly field strip that damned thing to get to the carb .In that aspect it's as much a pain in the behind to work on as a mini Mac or Homelite XL-2 .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just checked both of my 020's, yes, the inside of the tanks are painted. Both were bought new, so it is factory.

Ed

Thanks for the insight, ill have to figure a way to strip, prime, and repaint the can.

There was once this epoxy for repairing fuel tanks up here, you would mix it and pour it in a fuel tank and rotate the tank around to coat the inside, was great stuff, no where to be found now for some reason.

It is a coating to prevent fuel to be absorbed in to the metal of the fuel tank on these older saws with magnesium/aluminum mixed metal.
It is a bit like a spunge those metals and once fue and oils get to them it is very hard to get it out of metal again.

All saws with metal tanks were coated.

It will not help your tank, Steve. You need to fix that properly.

I am sure there is a lot better way's to het it to hold fuel. After that it can be coated...

Maybe Stihl were coated but I can attest Homelites and McCullochs were not .They would deteriate from the inside out probably because of galvanic reaction of dissimilar metals .Aluminum and mag are what is classified as "sacrafing" metals but rather than get into a long winded discussion of metalurgy,they just dissapeared given the right conditions .

Back