Foot locking

Page

TreeHouser
Climbing comp is in 2 weeks. I've been footlocking once a day for a week. Usually after work when I'm already tired. I was terrible at first but now I can do fifty feet in a minute. 2 more weeks of practice and I should do alright. I won't be able to do 20 seconds like I've seen other people do, I just want to finish before running out of time. image.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried to upload a vid from the iPhone but it didn't take. Anyone know how to do it?

Dang, Peter... if you can't do it, what the heck kinda hope does that leave me? :(

Page: Good job sir. Double line footlocking is a nice tool in the box.

It sure is. I did it on a job today just for fun and it ended up being very efficient. I'm kinda addicted to it now as an exercise.

That's what happens. Just don't get lazy and start leaving your prussic loop in the truck. That's what I did, and now I never put it on. :|:

Climbing comp is in 2 weeks. I've been footlocking once a day for a week. Usually after work when I'm already tired. I was terrible at first but now I can do fifty feet in a minute. 2 more weeks of practice and I should do alright. I won't be able to do 20 seconds like I've seen other people do, I just want to finish before running out of time. View attachment 70417
Me too!!! I'm feeling old but one last hoorah. I felt pretty defeated when I couldn't even make 50' at first!

Concentrate on being smooth, speed will follow.

19.7 seconds is my PB, couldn't do it now though.

I never got better than about 25 back in my time. But I didn't have a practice tree then, just the occasional work tree. I'll be tickled to get five or ten points

Probably never now, that was back in 2008-09. I did all the comps I could for 5-6 years, until the second kid arrived and it started getting a bit more difficult. Might start again when they're a bit older.

Been a good ten years since I did it. Got my crew into it and they've talked me into one "over 40" try

The rescue climb should be interesting. I went to a comp in Denver once that my buddy was climbing in, and I'd say 85% of the people timed out in that event.

The rescue is the most technical event, it's easy to get bogged down in details and time out.

Break it down into stages and give yourself a time limit for each part.

Say it's a 6 minute time limit:

1 minute for assessing the situation, making a plan, and inspecting the tree/access line

2 minutes to set your climbing system and ascend

1 minute to set your redirect and move across to the casualty

1 minute for casualty care and attaching to your system

1 minute for descent and handover

Get the timekeeper to give you calls at 1 minute intervals.

The timings will obviously vary with the scenario. Watch how other people do it, but keep your plan as simple as possible, think it through from start to finish to make sure it will work, don't try anything new or unfamiliar to you, and stick to the plan, don't try to adjust it on the fly or the likelihood of a cock up increases rapidly.

I hated the rescue when I started, but when I realised that a bit of brain work would bring results I started doing much better. The only individual event I've won actually.

My daughter has been footlocking a bunch lately ever since the comp. she will run outside before bed to quick scoot up a tree. She's wearing down her shoes pretty good. image.jpg

Back