Trail clearing

Man, that's the kinda country I dig. We have it here too but not at my house. 🙁

I know at least one use for antlers besides as an ornament. When ground up, the dust makes a super fine abrasive. Lacquer artists use it for a final polish. I wonder if sword smiths might have as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, ornaments. Tables, chandeliers, coat racks, anything you can think of. One big thing that seems to have driven the price up the last couple years has been dog chews. I could be wrong but I think the Chinese are a large buyer too. Some kind of aphrodisiac.

That sure is some beautiful country, Buddy! I do a bit of volunteer trail work myself, and 20 years ago was on a FS wilderness trail/fire crew. I absolutely LOVE clearing trails with an axe and a crosscut saw. I am headed out for a week in the Goat Rocks with my girlfriend's FS crew later on this summer. I hope I have as much fun as it looks like you did!

Goat Rocks...absolutely beautiful place, and absolutely choked with people, unfortunately. Have a great time despite my whinny tone, Sean :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bounce, I have done a little crosscut work on my own in the past. It's definitely a good workout and it usually involves a beautiful setting and very little noise. If a guy can learn to pace himself it's a lot more enjoyable. If you go at it like you would with a chainsaw you're going to wear down in a hurry, I'm still learning that part. I hope you have a good time this summer.

Even with chainsaws, a guy that I work with keeps telling me to not use so much throttle. He tells me that every time. Saving gas is a hard thing to learn.

If a saw is not bogging down, what's the liability? I think you might admit that 18000 rpms backed by 70ccs might be a bit much for a two inch limb. I think my friend's philosophy does have some application if one can get into the habit. He's about the only person that I know that has. He's got a beautiful classic styled house with a garden in the middle. I can't say it's only because of saving gas, but being frugal at times I think must have helped him.

One problem with running at half throttle (I don't like to make my engines screaming) is that the small chips plug easily the oiler at the bar. It's very often with my 200T and 150T. I have to put it at full throttle for a moment to wash out the plug with the oil flow. So goes the saving ...

Back