Wood stove heat

Yah that's a block off plate which is a really good thing to have. Looks like you've got male end down piping which is good too. I'm not sure why that giant hose clamp is on the slip section? To try and hold it from moving I'm guessing?

Exterior masonry chimneys are giant heat sinks and a lot of heat is lost to th outdoors unfortunately. Masonry has little to no 'r' value. You could look at the top of the chimney from outside and see if there's just a clay tile poking out or if there's a stainless toplate/cap it probably has a full liner. A full insulated liner is what I would recommend in that situation. An exterior masonry chimney requires 1inch of clearance from combustibles all the way up from typically the top of the smoke chamber. But if the liner is insulated with 1/2 insulation that would bump it up to ZC to combustibles. That's code for the USA too.

I'm still a full rookie. I am looking forward to continue building my experience, I'm up to about a 100 chimneys now. This spring my full certification will come through and then I can secure insurance for installations and major repairs. That's when it'll get interesting I think.

I'm enjoying it. Roof access is tough and somewhat exposed at times. Lots of good views though, just like treework. I've had many times so far where I've thought. Man I should get a pick of that. But as with treework I find it cumbersome to carry a phone let alone taking the time to pull it out and snap pics. Also I'm developing strong work practices of containing soot and limiting my exposure to it. The phone is a 'clean' item so I wouldn't contaminate it with dirty gloves/hands.
I pride myself on leaving no mess and not damaging anything. And so far I've been quite successful with that. Again similar to treework.

Awesome, Squish. You ever use ropes/srt to safety up there?

In that pic on the right it almost looks like some black creosote there? Like it could be coming down from/through the block off plate. If the chimney has no liner and is just a direct connect they can be problematic to clean as what that means is that pipe just pokes up into the masonry chimney. When you clean down then all the creosote would be collecting on top of the block off plate and be prohibitive to clean. Creo is fuel for a chimney fire and right above the stove is a bad place to collect and store it. Direct connect does not meet code in Canada but is allowed in the USA still though I believe.

Awesome, Squish. You ever use ropes/srt to safety up there?

Not yet. I use ladders. Lol. Every treeguys favourite thing. I use a roof or 'chicken' ladder for getting up high angled roofs.

Not tied in. The ruling is if it would take longer to make/install an anchor than it would to do the work you don't need one. I know, pretty loose rule.

You know how it is, take time to save time. 5 minutes with a throw line and then a srt line with microscender or HH or RW could save 6 months out of work. Just saying.

I have a stove made by Waterford. No catalytic in there, I think it is the reburner kind. Doing pretty well overall at 15 years old, though the cement liner on the side wall opposite the side-loading door is heavily cracked no doubt from me stupidly forcing in the odd long piece ( but no mas, if it aint cut to perfect length it doesn't go in). Is that broken cement a problem, no pieces missing yet, just pretty cracked up? Thanks

In that pic on the right it almost looks like some black creosote there? Like it could be coming down from/through the block off plate. If the chimney has no liner and is just a direct connect they can be problematic to clean as what that means is that pipe just pokes up into the masonry chimney. When you clean down then all the creosote would be collecting on top of the block off plate and be prohibitive to clean. Creo is fuel for a chimney fire and right above the stove is a bad place to collect and store it. Direct connect does not meet code in Canada but is allowed in the USA still though I believe.
Good eye, I'll run over there and click a pic of the chimney. 2 story outfit so i don't plan to get up there today...

Yah. Looks it. If any of that stuff leaning against the chimney is combustible, I'd move it. Also where that shed/addition is framed out I'd look closely where it abuts the chimney to see if there's any clearance.

This is the chimney in your new place? Do you clean it yourself or hire in a pro? If you hire in I'd ask a few questions about how the creosote that's swept down the chimney gets cleaned out?

A insulated liner top to bottom would solve all concerns,then combustibles can be right next to the exterior of the chimney. And also you would see much better performance from the stove(easier starts, better draft, less creosote buildup in the chimney). Obviously a fair decent expense too though. But it would vastly improve safety as well in the event of a chimney fire.

You know how it is, take time to save time. 5 minutes with a throw line and then a srt line with microscender or HH or RW could save 6 months out of work. Just saying.

I have a stove made by Waterford. No catalytic in there, I think it is the reburner kind. Doing pretty well overall at 15 years old, though the cement liner on the side wall opposite the side-loading door is heavily cracked no doubt from me stupidly forcing in the odd long piece ( but no mas, if it aint cut to perfect length it doesn't go in). Is that broken cement a problem, no pieces missing yet, just pretty cracked up? Thanks

I am looking into some fall protection setups and I hear ya. I have no desire to fall off a roof.

If you could post up a pic That would be helpful but generally if it's just cracked but all intact still you're good to go.

Yah. Looks it. If any of that stuff leaning against the chimney is combustible, I'd move it. Also where that shed/addition is framed out I'd look closely where it abuts the chimney to see if there's any clearance.

This is the chimney in your new place? Do you clean it yourself or hire in a pro? If you hire in I'd ask a few questions about how the creosote that's swept down the chimney gets cleaned out?

A insulated liner top to bottom would solve all concerns,then combustibles can be right next to the exterior of the chimney. And also you would see much better performance from the stove(easier starts, better draft, less creosote buildup in the chimney). Obviously a fair decent expense too though. But it would vastly improve safety as well in the event of a chimney fire.
I'm patient, I'll watch Craigslist till i find enough pipe....
Thanks for the input.
I haven't done a thing to this chimney, wife's thinking about a remodel... and had been awhile.... the old man used to do it himself.

I am looking into some fall protection setups and I hear ya. I have no desire to fall off a roof.

If you could post up a pic That would be helpful but generally if it's just cracked but all intact still you're good to go.

Thanks for the input!

Re fall protection, ya know, gravity might not wait for your pro to be set up, do it soon!!

Get that chimney cleaned Willie!! ;)

I did mine awhile back from inside up because it was raining and roof was "slicker than a frogs belly"

Get that chimney cleaned Willie!! ;)

I did mine awhile back from inside up because it was raining and roof was "slicker than a frogs belly"
;)

20161119_152934.jpg 20161119_152938.jpg
4cfe1d2e13d8c8d860d0abb29cb81c68.jpg

How about this old quadra fire in the shop? I'm sure the install is bogus...

Squish, do you know much about those stove top, heat activated (=cordless) fans? Mine is rather schizo- Sometimes at 650F it will spin like it is an airplane about to take off, other times at the same temp, it barely moves?!?

Its called an Ecofan, made in Canada.

I am actually a bit surprised that there are not more wood burners in this group. We designed our house around wood heat and use. Wood is after all, a by product of what we do that we get paid to take away.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 42
Geeze, thats a nice stove! I am itching to get my old Majestic going. Thanks for the tip about using cottonwood.

I just have to get over to see Tom(big twig) and steal all his wood. I just cant figure out how to get it home! I was thinking about maybe a side dump trailer.

Any reason that stove is in the middle of the flood Willie?

Thing of beauty Dave.

Seemed like the thing to.... keep the heat inside the shop rather than pump it through the metal wall

Back