• Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 10K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes...

Blaze = chameleon
Blue moon = poison ivy

Only the colors are different.

What kind of rec climbing are you doing? Do you want a light, packable rope and can you cope with the thinner rope, then go with Blaze. As a rec climber, I'm thinking durability isn't the big concern. No need to go with a 1/2" rope unless you like the feel of it in your hand.

love
nick

I want a rope that I can use for Ddrt and SRT. It will need to work well with hardware.

Blinky: I like colors too as long as they're green.

Why?

I personally have never understood why folks like to use a camo'd rope when saws were involved...

There are Hi-Vis green colors. I like bright orange myself.

Why?

I personally have never understood why folks like to use a camo'd rope when saws were involved...

You're absolutely right. I've questioned my own sanity in that respect. It's strictly personal, so far, with the exception of B&W XTC, I've chosen green or blue rope exclusively for lifelines.

One thing though, I generally climb on the shortest rope I can get away with so most of it stays in the tree with me. I've accidentally nicked my lifeline with a saw a couple of times but the only times I've had groundies cut ropes were red or orange bull ropes they failed to get out of the tree before they started brushing and bucking.

I think you're right... I'm just weird.:)

Why?

To make life more interesting:D

I bought a poison ivy rope last year, it is a wonderful rope in all ways except for the color. That is simply an accident waiting to happen, so it was nice to read that Blue moon is the same. I'll get that next time.

Poison Ivy is also available in hi viz green. It's kinda neon yellow/green. Very visible, really stands out.

Poison Ivy is also available in hi viz green. It's kinda neon yellow/green. Very visible, really stands out.

Except, I happened to notice, in Spring foliage.

That's my favorite rope so far though.

Yeah, I guess in some hardwoods that could be so for a while in the spring.

You should see the spring here, when the beech trees are just unfolding their new foliage. The very air in the woods is suffused with a light green colour and it doesn't get dark untill 11 PM. That hi-viz rope would be near to invisible.

Something to look forward to right now, when it is dark almost around the clock and cold and nasty.
Spring makes up for it, but it is hard to wait sometimes:(

I agree with that. here in north ga, there are plenty of trees over that 100-160 foot mark to climb, even a big spreading oak, a 150 rope is nice to have:

figure the tree is 90 foot - you get a 80 foot tip, you Ddrt, a 150 is not enough
i also have a 70 foot for backpacking in for SHORT trees or one that i can do switchs in, but most times i climb as Burnham states on Poison Ivy, Hi viz.

try the ropes, the 11m is a nice size, the poison ivy is softer then the tach and the snakebit is a harder to the touch rope. Verneer in Marietta has a good selection and they let you touch things.

True Blue is a 12 strand, non spliceable rope. Nice feel tho.

Well, I've narrowed my choices between tachyon, BlueMoon, and Blaze. Now I'm just waiting for my samples to come in so I can put my hands on them and see how they feel.

I bet you'll choose Tachyon. ...Hands down best feel of those three.

After looking into it more, I feel the Tachyon may have too much elongation for SRT. I may try the Snakebite and just use a split tail if I use it for Ddrt. Choosing a rope is making me crazy:|:

Just milk the tachyon and use it. Not that big of a deal fer crying out loud.

Snakebite will be the least versatile rope of those choices. It's not really intended for DdRT. It doesn't matter how much a rope milks as long as you don't whip the end until it's done.

Call me boring but i like squirellin on Hi-Vee. Yeah, I've enjoyed some other ropes but it seems that hi-vee holds up to my abuse well. maybe next time i order some rope I'll give some other a try. I agree with what was stated way earlier...screw cheap ropes.
Last year my wife was feeling exceptionally nice and cracked open a tree care catalog and ordered me a 120' of total garbage. Now that i think about it, it was this shit Baileys was pawning off. White with orange flecks in it. I used it once to say i did. man, i wouldnt let my enemy climb on that garbage. I had to explain to her that her heart was in the right place but it would be best for everyone involved if I ordered work gear.
Blackmax LT...thats the name of the shit she bought me.

Back