Concrete/sump pump pit

This is basically what we would install in homes with basements in AZ. The man of the house would often add a bathroom and and sound proof entertainment room for movies and gaming. Living room sized. There were often a couple bed rooms for guests as well. In AZ, you are pretty much escaping from the heat in one.
They make square ones as well. Easy plumb. Suck to put a new pump in if there is a bathroom running into it :P
34631.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yah that's what I'm putting in a sump pit just like that.

I'm not sure what you mean by bathroom running into it? There's certainly been no sewer involved in my fiasco? I think if there was I'd be just surrendering and calling in the pros.

Our basement is like that here too, it's hot in the summer and the basement is always a nice cool place to hang. I only have one television and it is in its own 'entertainment room' in the basement. Cool in the summer and nuclear in the winter with the woodstove going.

What I meant by a bathroom is they would often put one in the basement. Well shit only rolls down hill to the pump. Basin would be in a closet next to the bathroom..

Ahhh. Yah no thanks. I do already have a bathroom in the basement but it's all plumbed properly into the septic with a lift pump meant for sewage. And when that sucker goes? I don't think I'm gonna be replacing it. Lol.

Hey! I rebuild/repair sewage/effluent pumps. Deal is it comes to my shop washed and it'll be soaked in bleach for 2 days before I touch it, with gloves. Biggest one I rewound was 100hp, that moved alot of shit.
IMG_20150731_093902.jpg

What I meant by a bathroom is they would often put one in the basement. Well shit only rolls down hill to the pump. Basin would be in a closet next to the bathroom..

Can't do that up here, required two separate systems, to keep back flow of crap seeping into foundation.

Yup, makes logical sense, but not permitted up here, even if it had check valve and a substantial drop, still not allowed. Stupid. But People still plumb it as you described.

So the sump pit is finally underway. I lucked right out and didn't run into any footings and have been able to keep it all in the closet I wanted. I also exposed the drain pipes that are in place and have the perfect spot to tie into them. There was a connection right where I happened to dig in. I'm guessing that's why the old hole was there in the foundation so you could see if the one drain system was being overwhelmed. Anyways I'm satisfied it's about the perfect spot to tie into.

Now I've watched a lot of vids on this before I dove in and they always cut out the digging of the hole, for good frigging reason it's hard and takes awhile. I've got about 2"s to go and then I can set my sump pit in a full 25" deep. I've seen some conflicting installs on you tube so am wondering about if and what type of material I should wrap my sump pit in. I'm going to T it into the drain but also drill a bunch of small holes in it to catch any other water that may come it's way. Just like a landscape or geotextile fabric s what I've seen used to keep silt out of the pit to prolong the pumps life. This makes sense to me but I worry that the fabric could clog up over time and block water from entering.

Anyone with any thoughts on this? Stephen do you recall what you guys used to do?

To clarify the drain I refer to is nothing to do with water or sewer, it's like the drain field/pipes under the foundation.

I'd dig it wider and backfill with peagravel, hopefully the pump can handle silt and where you are pumping it to.

....still goes against my fur to introduce water from perimeter drains into home ...oh well I have strong opinions , like the exterior system w gravity and pitch should work.... Strong opinion Schuey is me

I'd dig it wider and backfill with peagravel, hopefully the pump can handle silt and where you are pumping it to.

Well it'll just be a normal sump pump, I've come come to gather that none of them appreciate silt. The lift/distance won't be an issue for any pump. And I've already got plenty enough room for my pea gravel around the pit now.

I appreciate everyone's concern on redoing the whole foundation/exterior drain but it's not happening.:P.

So, does anyone have an opinion on whether a sump basin should be wrapped in geotextile fabric..............or not?

Well I'm going without any fabric so hopefully no one comes up with any great reasons to not do it that way. Lol.

Call that Holmes on Homes dude. He is Canadian, right? The phone book cant be that big. He would know what to do!

If he was going to do it it would be an $80 000 job.

Most of the pumps "should" be able to handle silt, so long as it's not sitting in the silt, a good pump will have stand offs or little legs, or even the inlet side up higher.It would be easier to scoop out some silt occasionally as opposed to digging out and replacing fabric. You can upgrade the pump to an effluent pump, that would handle silt no problem. Too bad you weren't closer, I have about 6 rebuilt.

Yup, gravel. If you are not draining waste into it, silt is a minimal issue. Pump will send some out the pipe. Any build up can be handled by hand once in a while. You can also wire an alarm into it in case the pump gives out.
Tie into with a wye, wanted or combination why 45 fitting. Longer the sweep the better

Ok great info, makes me confident with going without the fabric.

Yah Stephen I think I'm going to go all out with a dual pump battery backed up system with an alarm.

Back