Removing the copse -- trees, that is...

pantheraba

More biners!!!
My son has recently built a pole barn...where he used to have some very big bonfires. We did not realize at the time that the fires were hurting the trees. It was not conductive heat but the radiant heat that did the damage. Anyway, we have to take down six gums that are all part of one copse...tallest about 90 feet, smallest probably 60 feet. I use the 90 footer for my main TIP at about 70 feet.

One of the gums broke off at 20 feet about 10 days ago...dumped a 40 foot top onto his barn. We got lucky...it only cracked one truss. He had that scabbed up by the time I got there that morning. We got the top off the barn [yep, that is him, minimal PPE which I pointed out...his reply, "It's not on fire, it's OK" (FF humor)]. He did a good job of being slow and methodical and we got the tree off fine. We have started taking down the damaged gums....here are some pictures and a short clip of a top I dropped today...and a snake I discovered coiled up about 50 feet up where the top had broken out of the gum.

When these gum tops break out on their own they send out new leads...the top I threw today was on a dogleg about 3 feet out from the main trunk. No simple access...I don't like doglegs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LficxMMssvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BSmPwXxJkuY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• Tree on barn roof-Alexs (1).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (1).jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (2).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (2).jpg
    191 KB · Views: 72
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (3).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (3).jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (5).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (5).jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (6).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (6).jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (7).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (7).jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (8).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (8).jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (9).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (9).jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (10).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (10).jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (13).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (13).jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (14).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (14).jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (15).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (15).jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (16).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (16).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Tree on barn roof-Alexs (17).jpg
    Tree on barn roof-Alexs (17).jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 73
Gary I really enjoyed those. Not the tree work so much as the atmosphere. Did somebody engineer those trusses or are you guys just winging it? Think I would have pooped myself in those trees as I have NO experience with them or the effects of fire on them. The fact that one had already failed would add to my fear. Snakes I can deal with but they are spooky in a tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alex is pretty much a master of Craigslist. He needed 40 foot trusses for his barn and looked into having them made...very expensive. Then he found a guy just north of Atlanta that had a chicken house that had been dismantled...he wanted to trusses gone...so Alex took all he had. He got measurements over the phone from the owner and then welded some supports onto our trailer to make a rack to transport the trusses. We took about 5 men and hand loaded them...it made quite a weird load driving 50 miles home isn Atlanta traffic. I cannot believe DOT or State Patrol did not stop us. I'll post those picts when I find them.

The steel beams are from a trailer made for mobile homes. He got it free, took it apart, welded the beams together to make a wide span to get his vehicles in easily. It has been a pretty interesting project. He is waiting now for a good deal on a metal roof to crop up.

Attachments

• IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 54
I was going to say man, he peeled the roof off before you got there!
None of us like dog legs!

Yep, it is coming along. I want that roof on there soon...have some kayaks I want to hang under there....:/:

Willie, we are lucky there was not a roof on there yet...would have surely punched holes through it.

That is a good question...I had not even thought of that. I'll check with Alex.

What's with the old fire truck...looks interesting

Butch...there was an entire thread (I think) about the fire truck. I just did a search and could not find anything...maybe it was on the previous version of the House?

How do I access the old forum? Isn't there a way to at least look at it?

Dang, Steve...you are AWESOME!!! I used the search engine on the site here and could not find that thread. I will have to try again and see what I did wrong.

Bermy...he found what you asked about...it has some great pictures in it...I had forgotten how much fun it was to get that truck at the time.

Thanks, Steve, for finding that....here are some teaser pictures to get you to follow that link:

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?12800-quot-I-bought-a-fire-truck!-quot

Attachments

• 001_001.jpg
    001_001.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 001_005.jpg
    001_005.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 54
  • 001_006.jpg
    001_006.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 54
Glad to help. I really liked that thread, reminded me of Edward Furtak.

I don't know what model he had but something like this.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Would have been fun, he had it well stocked. And he did tell them three but possibly six months.

http://www.australiantraveller.com/australia/its-very-dangerous-outback-survival-stories/#

Where there’s smoke, there’s a fire engine
This might not quite qualify as a survival story, but back in 2000, 43-year-old Edward Furtak got it into his head that a good way to give up smoking would be to drive his ancient converted fire engine into the desert and camp by himself for six months. “I needed to actually get out in the middle of nowhere where I just couldn’t have a smoke,” he said later in an ABC radio interview. While he claimed he “had a great time”, his parents certainly didn’t, reporting him missing after three months. A police search was mounted but proved fruitless. The mystery of his disappearance from Sydney was finally solved after another three months went by, and he emerged from the desert into the small town of Forrest, 1150km east of Perth, to call his mum on her 78th birthday.

Gary, you can often search a key word on Google along with masterblasterhome and use Google's power to find what had been lost on the forum servers

Back