The RIP Thread...

Excellent musician. I Learned yesterday he was ill and it didn't look good. He will be missed by so many.

I saw Doc and Merle once at a music festival. Doc was a given, and Merle was a hell of a picker too. His fingers looked so strong on the fingerboard. They were fantastic together. Hope they are doing it again.

Awesome. I have hit Telluride Bluegrass only once, but seen many of the artists elsewhere. I never saw Doc, but have listened for years. Now if I only had the time for my Banjo.

My favorite bluegrass group was Jim and Jesse and the Virginia boys, that I was very lucky to see at the same music festival. They tore it up, fantastic players. Jim is gone now too.

We saw him live in Frederick, MD a few years back ... PURE GOLD listening to all, especially anyone who plays guitar ... God rest him.

Merle's death was particularly tragic, I remember it especially because he was doing some woodworking and sustained an injury, I think on the table saw, some wood shot back and entered his arm, is what I read. It was late at night and apparently he got on his tractor and went over to a neighbor's to get help. They wouldn't answer the door at so late an hour, or something like that. Leaving their house, Merle rolled his tractor down an embankment and it was the end for the young man.

Merle was Doc Watson's son, a fine guitarist in his own right, before his premature death. MerleFest is an annual music festival in North Carolina, honoring his life. I imagine it won't be the same without Doc now.

OMG! Here I thought Merlefest was all about Merle Haggard. What a Maroon. I will now find out more of what it is about.

That is a little different from what I first read about the cause of Merle's death. That fact that he got help before his tractor accident is better to know. I always thought the neighbor's refusal to help him is what greatly contributed to his death, and how that might have been for the rest of his family to know.

Thanks Jack and Jay for enlightening me. I listen to a local Bluegrass show here on Wed evenings from WOMR.ORG. Tonight was special with all the remembrance and dedication to Doc. A Great show. RIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's why I tie off to the boom, not the bucket. I'd like to know more about the condition of that truck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm thinking some weird trauma was done to that bucket that we don't know about, yet.

I have heard of guys getting crushed against something when in a bucket, where the person using the controls gets confused. That seems particularly true in buckets on crawlers, which can move with the boom extended.

Back