How'd it go today?

Grendel, http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=30&item=5873 $10. A steel biner is good for weight at the end of the rope. A throw weight on the end of that goes extra far. I like to be able to advance a rope well above me, such as when I'm going to pull a top. I can be down at the cut, throw up and over a branch 10-15' up, and wiggle the rope down to me where I can tie the end with a running bowline. Lots of leverage, little extra effort. Mostly I run aluminum for speedlining. A top might not be bad on steel.

It's supposed to be about 100 HP. Heavy sucker though, I think on it's skid it's two tons. A 4BT Cummins would be as many horses and a quarter of the weight.

Spread out all my chip piles w/mini today and separated/piled a bunch of dumped wood; not 1/2 of what's laying around here but made some progress toward cleaning up/ organizing before the snow hits.

I don't think you're supposed to be able to stick a probe into a cavity on a big tree leaning toward a house and get it in 3/4 of the diameter. Bigleaf maple eval for a homeowner. See what comes of it.

It's supposed to be about 100 HP. Heavy sucker though, I think on it's skid it's two tons. A 4BT Cummins would be as many horses and a quarter of the weight.

Not nearly as cool though.

Almost done seeding winter wheat, well, it is supposed to snow and rain sunday, so I will have to quit. Been trying to seed for about a month, been too rainy and wet.

Shipped calves on thursday. The steers were about twenty pounds heavier than we though, and the heifers were right on the money. The calves weighed enough that we were able to save 65 replacement heifers instead of 20. Those suckers are worth 1600 bucks once you wean them and give them a bangs shot.

We have about 14,000 feet of our pipeline in. The Kobelco is running good. The hydraulic hoses are British Standard Parallel, which is a bitch, not nearly as common as JIC. Dad has been back filling with the D8 which is quite a workout pulling all those levers. I am going to try to get some pics.

Hired man is hauling hay.

I am burning about 300 gallons of fuel a day! Ugh!

I would not like your fuel bill Jim..

Kinda day of it here.
I was asked to help "stretch some wire" to move some goats into a field at a clients that has been wanting her fields eaten down. I set her and Kat up ..
So ... I never got the full story... Kept turning into one more wire... one more section of fence. 4 more goats.
She and the HO chatted past the time the lumber yard was open for me to get form stakes for my concrete project. This was supposed to be a just a morning job.
I wonder if I can get a trade in on a new woman. This one is really over stepping boundaries.
I need to remember.. Not my circus, not my monkeys (goats, horses, geese, chickens, llama, rabbits........).
Seriously need a start dating and get out of the house.

I've wondered about that thing, Stephen, but didn't want to pry. A night out with a lady could do you some good.

Thanks, I actually was in the old Tree house as well for a while, but somehow "lost" contact. Bermie/Bermy told me nice things about the new forum once, so I thought I should try.....:)

Yay, I brought one in from the cold! Ok, now go over to the 150t thread and tell me how to tune my saw better :)

That's awesome. Mine are a bit young for that yet. My oldest daughter is four and is content with climbing on a big log while I split wood. It's going to be soon enough though. She learned to tie a bowline shortly after tying her shoes and always wants to be out helping me.

Beautiful time of year at Looking Glass, eh? I used to go during Halloween/ Fall break in college for a couple years. Met John Longnecker on the Nose belay ledge as he was guiding two younguns.

Longnecker was just about to rappel down, muzzle and rescue this dog that skittered out onto a very steep ramp that diagonalled under the belay ledge. As Longnecker was about to descend, the dog barely turned around 180, nails skittering on the granite, over a steep 100' drop. Turns out to have been a guide's dog who did that routine daily.

Dog was fine. He turned around on a tiny space. We could hear his nails skittering on the granite of that slabby dome the whole time from 100' away or so. He went back down this steeply cross-sloped 'ramp'.

It looked like it was going to be a trip down the ever steeping dome for the dog. Heart thumping.

On the Nose (I think that is the name of the route, no?), the ramp comes in from the climber's left, between the first and second belay ledges.

Dusted a dead Ash, took out storm-broken top from a Poplar then removed the rest, dead-wooded big nasty hard maple and done at Noon. It all paid good...My kind of day. :)

Had four guys on the ground so no waiting around in the trees. Not my regular crew but not bad to work with...found myself whispering into the mic that wasn't on a couple times though:|:...no comm helmets used.

Back to Nick & I and enhanced communication tomorrow...starting a 2 day job in the big City.

Back