Crossing climbing line with rigging! -warning

Today on one of my jobs there was a serious incident, it was a close call. I had a contract climber taking down a large Norfolk Island Pine. The head was to be lowered out however it went the wrong direction (wind) and came down over the climber. The climber managed to get out of its way however the lowering line was left to run over his lanyard (rope) and 90% severed it- the lanyard was his only point of attachment, the distance to fall most certainly fatal.

Lucky climber...has he heard of using two safeties when cutting? Or does he think he is special and does not need precautions for when things go BAD wrong...like they apparently did?

Not knowing is ignorant.

Knowing and Not doing is stupid.

Both can get you dead. Glad he's OK...maybe you can educate him?

I've said respectably to some old timers about using two tie ins when cutting, or suggested it rather. The most recent time got a half laugh and half wtf response, then the man lit another cigarette. The idea of it wasn't in his world.

Here's when it's a good idea, when your taking out something big, rigging or otherwise, when there is the potential for catastrophe.
If your just spiking up cutting as you go, or nipping of small ends, roped higher then I won't bother.

Butch is right on the money, and you sir...are not.

My opinion only, just the results of 30+ years of survival aloft speaking :). We all get to make the call at the time, and truth be known, I've cut a corner or two...maybe a dozen or two :D...over those decades.

Not hunting for an argument, just speaking from the old guy end of the bar :).

We all used to free climb.

Still do when the situation merits it, brothers. I have no fear at all of free-climbing, when the tree form allows it. I may have modified a little bit my definition of that caveat in my latter years, but not by very much.

Free climbing, and two tie-ins when cutting (chainsaw, hand saw, pole saw, powered drill, etc., matters not imo) are two completely separate situations, imltho.

Huh? Surely they are both about not tying in (once or twice) and exposing yourself to needless risk at height.
I would say they are not two completely separate situations, they are quite closely linked.
(Ok the "not looking for an argument thing" looks shaky now):)

Perfect demonstration of why two points of attachment is not negotiable-I'm very thankful he finished the tree for us yesterday (after earlier calling it quits)- otherwise I would be going up there today well and truly outside of the comfort zone.

Norfolk Pines, done my share of them. Top lanyard is always wire core, and always have secondary tie in below set up for descent.

Really, really glad your guy is OK.
Time to pause, reflect and live to work another day!

When I was first starting out, I only had a rope lanyard, I was topping out a casuarina it when it went with a bang (leaning top) and jerked me around a bit, I let go the saw with one hand to grab the tree, the saw ran down the stem a bit and juuust kissed my lanyard as it was spooling down, put some nicks in it. Even though I was tied in below it would have been a very nasty fall to the secondary tie in.
Very next day I borrowed a wire core to finish the job, then ordered my own. Removals, wire core on top.

having parted my wire flip line with the crazy 88 blocking down convinced me that a second point of attachment when you are unable to see around the cut is the way to go every time.

I use a wire core most of the time, even pruning. I like the stiffness. That and seem to just destroy the rope ones to quick. To the OP, that's one hell of a sickening feeling isn't it. Had my old hy-vee get burnt down to just a few strands about ten years ago. I'll never let it happen again.

Back