Best Climbing Helmet?

Kind of a no-brainer, really.

I would have given much for a good helmet mounted comm set, many a time in my work life. When I managed helicopter ops it was part of the program, and wonderful it was...never had the luxury when climbing or falling.

I tried the Kask with the comms and wasn't overall impressed with the helmet. Didn't stay adjusted too well and they stink. Took out the senas and put them in my pacific and loving it. I like the Pacifics, just like wearing a baseball hat to me. They take a beating too...

I prefer hi viz helmets, and I don't care for any colors of the protos. Green is OK but there is NO WAY that color will be as visible to the crane op compared to lime green. If they'd do solid hi viz colors I'd reconsider. The side protection is great, but I'll take visibility over that. I have tried one on and I was impressed with the integrated earmuffs though.

It's easy. Took about 20-30 minutes to switch them, including figuring out how to route the mic. The box is held on by a plate with two Allen screws and the earmuffs come apart easily and need a slot drilled into them, if they haven't had that done already.

Kask or Protos. The new suspensions on the Vertex leaves something to be desired IMO. The Protos is temp wise cooler by a mile than the Kask, but a bit bulkier. The protection and sightlines are awesome though

If I were working enough to justify it at all, I'd go for a Protos, easily. I might even anyway, though $300 bucks is not an easy trigger to pull for a hobbyist, which is all I really am at this point.

Got my old one in the shed still, Stephen...ought to break it out for grins and giggles next time around.

If I were working enough to justify it at all, I'd go for a Protos, easily. I might even anyway, though $300 bucks is not an easy trigger to pull for a hobbyist, which is all I really am at this point.
well you can be a proffessional pro type hobbiest......Though your getting too the time where anything but sitting down is a chore:lol:

How ya doing Burnham ya "O'l Fart" ?

Thing I dislike most about a lot of these helmets the Petzl made ones seem to violate what im about to say the most. Few of them are rated as fall protection. Most are only rated for protection from falling debris......it,s what weve been sold its what weve have been buying......its jack ass stupid

Now im going to look into this new helmet some of you all posted about.

Im in a hurry here, if if any of my mutterings were mutterd prior please forgive, I did not read the whole thread

Jeff, I sort of follow you.....a bicycle helmet is impact protection.....whether struck by something or the wearer flies head first into something. Still and all, our brainbuckets give us some protection. Getting anything rated for all sorts of impacts in a work environment is a huge issue for the makers......Consider the hoopla over football helmets for instance. Good enough is never good enough for liability lawyers so I' think I'd like the standard to stay as it is.

Yes Justin they are far better than a bare noggin.
But for the most part the helmets that get worn aloft in a tree arent the best for fall protection. I believe a helmet can be designed for impact from above while at the same time offering a better level of fall protection than what is offered at present.

I have heard, heard being the key word here, that makers of helmets wont do what Im stating because it does open them to liability. "The makers of this helmet state it was in fact built for fall protection but Billy fell, hit his head & hes now sucking steak through a straw"

Still I would like to see some thing better.
But more than the liability issue is will any one wear it if it was made. Our industry as most others will have nothing to do with purchasing much less wearing any thing that doesnt look or give off the essence of COOL. Regardless of how much safer it makes one job

Back