Thank you Jerry B!

I liked in your book where though you didn't come right out and say it, the people that you showed in your photos, I got the impression that they were your friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like I've said before, (and as all of you here at the House know) Jerry is one of the guys that you know that you can just hang out with and share a brew or two with and just swap stories about tree work and whatever else.

Though he is a legend (and I do mean that sincerely), he is just so down to earth that he makes you feel very comfortable to hang around with.

Boy, what I would have given to be a greenhorn back in the early 1980's and been with Jer's crew and learned about tree work, working on the power line ROW's. If you guys haven't purchased a copy of Jerry's "A Tree Story" DVD, then you MUST GET ONE. The stories and pics in it are out of this world!

Chris, back in those 1980's 'right of way clearing days' they didn't call me the Drill Sargent for nothing. For many a young man that worked on my crew it was their first real job, and most did not know the true meaning of the word "WORK". Right of way clearing was tough! Just getting to the work site could take 40 minutes of hiking over steep terrain, and then the real work began. For the ones that could handle it they learned some life long skills and good work ethics. For those that could not handle it they didn't last long on my crew.

Understandably, some people didn't like me in those days.

Thanks for the good words, Chris.

Jerry, I think that you could write an interesting book on the philosophy of work. As you say, learning skills is something beyond developing the basic mindset to the subject of working. It seems like a difficult task if you yourself are under pressure to get a certain amount done with your crew, and are also having to attend to the side issues that individuals have from being in various stages of the learning process.

Man Jay, it's like you read my mind. I'd love to hear what Gerry and other really experienced guys have to say about when it's time to actually fire a guy. I've got some huge dilemmas in that dept.

Actually, those young men that couldn't cut it I requested they go on to other crews working in the urban environment. But still most that I sent off ended up failing on the other crews too. It was a cycle that repeated itself too many times for my liking. Very frustrating. OJT

Back in The Day, my motto was "Work, Walk, or Fight." I don't think I could get away with that nowadays, in this PC world. :drink:

Back