Rope Runner Climb line and Tending

woodslinger

TreeHouser
I got my runner about a month ago and love it. However, I am having issues getting it to tend nicely, and I am considering getting a new climb line (not because of the tending issue).

I am climbing on Tachyon that I got in a bag-o-rope and its under 100 ft long, closer to 75 I think. So I am likely going to get a new, longer climb line. What is everyone's preferred line to use with the Runner?

As far as tending, I have a foot ascender and a SAKA, with a HUT attached to the tending connection. When rope climbing, the Runner sits at the full extension of the HUT, pulling pretty hard at my neck, and will not advance up the rope in the "elastic" range of the HUT. I thought this might be due to a short rope bridge, but with nothing else connected to the runner at all and puling it up by the HUT by hand it still binds for me. I used to have a loop runner attached to the runner carabiner and I thought that might be causing my issue, but after I got the SAKA, its kept having the same problem :(

It seems to me that the runner is tilting when pulled up the rope, I'll try to get a picture of my setup and post that, maybe sunday.

That was a concern I had when looking at it. The tending piece is on one side and I thought it would cause it to tilt. I'm not sure but I think Treestuff recommends all gear's cherry bomb

I'll be giving one a bit of a try out soon on PI. A guy at work just got one. I don't know what rope he's using but I'll find out. At the rate he's progressing I'll use it before him.

I much prefer tending from the chest than from the neck. You don't want to be pulling the runner, just holding it upright. It should not be pulling on you. I like all the Yale 11.7, I like kernaster, km3, kmmax, vortex, and the cougars. Show a pic of your setup you should not feel the runner at all during ascent. If your climbing on tachyon, then the bird bollard should be as wide open as possible. During ascent get it so it sits upright but is not being forced up.

Yes that could be it too. I prefer my haas or sake attached independently of the runner. It seems like if it is attached to the same spot as the runner they fight eachother and it feels like it's towing you down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have had the SAKA clipped into the carabiner on the runner, and I have had it attached independantly to my belt, did not seem to make a difference. It sounds like maybe I am "pre-tensioning" the runner as the neck lanyard always has some tension on it? Perhaps I need to use a sling for the Runner like I use with my unicender?

I just pulled the trigger on a runner..... Hope im happy with it. Never climbed anything mechanical before.

I like mine, particularly the smooth let out while limb walking. The only time I have an issue with it is rope ascending, which I'm sure I will get sorted out shortly. And even that is not a major issue, It's just uncomfortable and I know it can be done much better.

After reading the advice in this thread I double checked my adjustable friction bollard on the bird (which I thought I had fully open) and found that it wasn't fully open. After opening it I hung a line from my ceiling and it still didn't seem to want to tend nicely. When climbing with it this weekend, it suddenly worked buttery smooth with no issues and hardly any sit back at all while ascending. Seems to me that the bird bollard adjustment had a lot to do with it, and my initial trial must have not had enough rope tension or something. Now that I got it adjusted properly it is just amazing, I love this thing.
If I get rocket line as a longer climbing line, will the friction bollard remain wide open? It works in that position with my tachyon, which I will still use for shorter climbs, and I'll just get a longer hank of tachyon if that will avoid having to adjust the bollard. I do like the high viz of the rocket line so that would be my preference.

Watch out for the rocket line new. You may have to close the bollard up just a hair. It doesn't take much to make a difference. Once the shine has worn off the rope I would open it back up. The adjustable bollard I only really use for new ropes.

Anyone have any experience with Tachyon or Rocket line on a Runner? Now that it tends and works so nicely I don't feel a need to switch rope, just add a longer line to my collection as mine is somewhere around 75'. From reading reviews it looks like tachyon doesn't milk and rocket line does? Anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to get my new line spliced on both ends.

I just pulled the trigger on a runner..... Hope im happy with it. Never climbed anything mechanical before.

Bump. Hey, mistahbenn! Sorry if I haven't been keeping up with your exploits of late. I'm just wondering whether or not you're still climbing on the Rope Runner more than two years later, or if you've switched to something new? Also, what your experience was like on the Rope Runner & whether you have any comments to make regarding all of that. Thanks.

Tim

Back