Tree felling vids

Looked like he might have only done a back cut, no face.

That was just plain dumb, the man made an exceedingly poor read of the situation. I really hope he wasn't hurt, didn't seem so, but that was an easily foreseeable outcome.

Yep, no face cut. The extra snap/kick of the spar was when the top tore loose from the spar....where the face cut should have been.

That would have been a place to at least consider a Coos Bay cut, if a face was not doable with the heavy head lean.

But really, the best move would have been to go higher and remove some significant top weight. Even going 5 or 6 more feet up to make that same felling cut would have helped a lot, I think.

It said, trimming a pine after a tornado.
Then (laughably) this professional was unhurt thanks to his training/equipment and good reflexes.
It's BS of course as his lack of gob meant that the strip of bark pulled it over and it sprung back like a trebuchet (google that word mofos!:D)

He had a face cut. You can see the angled cut in the slow motion clip. But, also there's a glimpse of a tag line, just a split second. They were no doubt pulling like crazy before his back cut went in, which is why the tree looked like a leaner. I don't know what else they were expecting to happen when you load up a bean pole like that.

It said, trimming a pine after a tornado.
Then (laughably) this professional was unhurt thanks to his training/equipment and good reflexes.
It's BS of course as his lack of gob meant that the strip of bark pulled it over and it sprung back like a trebuchet (google that word mofos!:D)

Ha...we used to make them in our Scout troop. 2nd picture you can see the pumpkin flying over the trees.:D

Attachments

• Trebuchet  3 Troop 62 (2).JPG
    Trebuchet 3 Troop 62 (2).JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Trebuchet - pumpkin flies over the trees adj.jpg
    Trebuchet - pumpkin flies over the trees adj.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 67
For the climbing rag-doll, there was a recent translation of the french description a few days ago but it disappeared.
That says a fir threatened to fall on the house after a tornado.
So the fir had already a heavy lean and the climber didn't want to go higher to cut a smaller top in the fear to fall with the whole tree.

For me, the tag line looks to be side way from the lean, thus the heavy pull to modify the top's lay, trying to avoid the house.
With the awkward reaction of the trunk from the lean and a side pull, there is no way that the climber could stay straight on his spikes after the cut.

Throw a couple guy-lines on the tree for stability, and leave some branches for energy dampening. People are frequently all too ready to strip stuff off because they can, rather than they should.

Yup.
Don't go climbing trees that are part way knocked over by storm, without a guy line.

Couple from today.
http://youtu.be/VhAJ33HP31o

Stripped this last week, the plan was to strip it too a stick the fell. The entire back side was lowered as to avoid the park fencing but the few bits left were so dead that they would've probably broke up while being loaded so we decided to just fell it aswas.
And every one loves a BOOM anyway

http://youtu.be/fcFnsi2MH68

This was stripped last year and we felled it today while we hada ll the gear on site. The tree was bloody huge when we striped it. A fairly substantial butt ( for the UK )

Nice.
Pity it wasn't here. I had a call today from someone on the look out for a log like that.

Man, I absolutely HATE those wedges.
If they had a price for the shittiest wedges, those would win.
I used them in Schweiz, back in the early 80es and just HATED them.
Eventually I brought some steel ones from home ( Illegal in Schweiz at the time)
Want me to ship you a case of Hardheads?

I don't mind those hi-lifts. They have double rings on each which helps. I only used them just in case it sat back, we had a 5t tirfor doing the pulling.
I did use the trick I learned here years ago about a wedge put in loose so you can see when it starts to move. You see in the second video I see it drop out of the corner of my eye and stop cutting.

Here's one Alex and I finished today. I did a cat rescue here a few months ago (actually the cat bailed out from 30 feet when the throw weight spooked it as I was retrieving it to set a line...the weight was about 15 feet away and the cat did the watusi in mid-air to re-position and took a 30' fall. They took cat to vet, it was OK...very dazed...but was OK). They were appreciative to have cat down.

Anyway, they called me a few days ago with a dead pine that had the major lead (of two) broken and leaning in another pine...the broken lead was about 40 feet long and was still attached at 40 feet and pushing the tree towards the dog pen and house. I was able last week to shoot a line over the dead broken lead and pull it out by hand...that took the immediate hazard out of the picture. The remaining tree was still leaning about 3 degrees toward the house and had all its limb weight to the house. We got a high pull rope set at about 65 feet (thank you APTA!), used a hoist to pull the tree up straight and hoped it would break the top out. But it no breaky.

We strapped the spar and felled it whole. Don't get to do that often around here. When the tree went over I had a rainstorm of pine cones...looked like 300 all at once. :laughing3:

Burnham...I know you don't like all that "scoring nonsense"...sorry, still working on lining up cuts.:D

Here you go:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EXEFAEuMK8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• IMG_20160205_121145410 RESZD 1.jpg
    IMG_20160205_121145410 RESZD 1.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 21160002 RESZD 1.jpg
    21160002 RESZD 1.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 21160003 RESZD 2.jpg
    21160003 RESZD 2.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 21160004 RESZD 3.jpg
    21160004 RESZD 3.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 55
Well Gary, if it helps you, then it's worth doing, for you.

I don't know...there is a blank spot in my ability to understand not being able to hold a saw's bar level. It's so natural to me as to be unavoidable...I cannot escape seeing level or lack thereof in everything. Picture on a wall, trim on a house, table leg, closet door, anything that should be vertical or horizontal, either is, or is howlingly not, to my eye.

This is not something I can claim having developed any special skill at, for me it just is.

You are probably like my cousin, Noah, a natural born "dead-eye"...a fine country boy that was the best shot I ever saw. We'd go dove hunting...if I shot two birds with a box of shells I was pleased...if I got 5 it was incredible.

Noah was a dead-eye...20 birds with 25 shots was normal for him.

He sometimes shot ducks on the wing with a revolver...not flying full tilt "coming in" when going to roost at night but moving across the water...still a hard shot.

I think sometimes the surrounding background/terrain must detract from my ability to see "horizontal"

Back