Contract climbing, the Good, the Bad, the Ugly.

Willard didn't really upset anybody, he got upset and started lashing out left and right when people told him to stop worshipping himself quite so blatantly, then he took off.
Personally I got a little tired of the way one couldn't discuss anything with him, because the world's greatest handfaller was always right.

Sounds like you've lived an interesting life, Reg. Nothing really beats going to other parts of the world and killing trees.
Anyway, you are pretty much spot on with my thinking about contract climbing.
Mid 50es and what then?

For what it is worth, I don't think you'd find many pussies if you looked at old loggers in general.
They don't last in the woods.

For what it is worth, I don't think you'd find many pussies if you looked at old loggers in general.
They don't last in the woods.

I was referring to residential. I've never been involved with Forestry or logging as such.

The way you fall trees, I was sure you had done some logging.
( That was, in case my meaning wasn't clear, meant as a compliment)

The way you fall trees, I was sure you had done some logging.
( That was, in case my meaning wasn't clear, meant as a compliment)

No mate, but thanks for saying. I've just been fortunate to get lots of exposure and variety since day one. If that's your idea of good fortune. I do get to fall lots of trees out here in their entirety....more so than during any other period that I've done treework. The vast majority are conifers though....Douglas fir and cedar, way easier to read or manipulate than hardwoods.

Its very interesting to me that the only currently working contract climber who has weighed in on this discussion in Reg. It's interesting: I, like Reg, live in the pnw, but he's the only guy I know of who's staying anything like busy as a sub. Just sayin'. I would absolutely RELISH the opportunity to be contradicted.

I work for myself...on the odd occasion I get asked to contract climb I get to bid the job and charge my usual hourly rate. Mind you that's in Bermuda where there are only three pro climbers...

I can see the problems arising if someone else has bid the job and you're just turning up to work, being told to do a four hr. job in two...

Thanks Fi... It'd be great if this thread stayed open long enough for a few contract climbers to be able to weigh-in. Dave from NorCal told me about a few that he though stayed busy, but... other than that. I haven't even really heard of too many guys.

I whore out my equipment from time to time. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not depends who it's for.

Its all I do, but I'm pretty picky on who I work for. I've been around long enough to be able to suss people out pretty quick. Some of them I just turn up and climb others I end up almost as a foreman, it doesn't bother me either way.
I have turned up at a job a few times and just turned round, I'm not keen on people take the piss.
Some are just genuinely clueless idiots, I'm not even sure how a few ever got my number, some change their mind when they ask what my day rate is. I quite like it at the mo as I have as much work as I want from 1 guy and he treats me well and more importantly never once has he messed me around with money.

Pretty much agree with blue.

I have been contract climbing 5-6 days a week for the last 9 years. I have got to the point in my area to know who to avoid, who is a bad payer and who takes the piss.

I have walked on jobs before if I think they are taking the piss, other than that I have quite a few guys blocked on my iPhone so I never have to speak to them. Hopefully they have taken the hint by now.

In the UK I work on day rate. When I am in Norway it is by the hour. I enjoy the liveliness of CC, no two days are the same. Some crews are great others not so. I think the most important thing to be successful in CC is to be able to fit in with the crew on the day. I think one day of the main points I love about it is I go home to my kids and don't really have to worry about shit till tomorrow! I actually prefer to not know what is in store for me, that way I don't lie awake thinking too much about it.

I have no plans as yet to get my own work in the UK. Maybe Norway, we will have to wait and see on that one though ;)

The best guy I work for is local to me. All I have to do is climb, we smash the job out then go home. As an average I'd say I was home by 1pm for a full days pay. Happy days

£150. My record with him was home by 10.30am but I did meet him on site a mile from home at 8am.:|:

I think one day of the main points I love about it is I go home to my kids and don't really have to worry about shit till tomorrow! I actually prefer to not know what is in store for me, that way I don't lie awake thinking too much about it.

Ha! :thumbup:

Back