What's the best type of payment you've ever received for climbing?

Hmmm. A van as a tip (wasn't much but I towed it off and sold it for $400), A wood stove. Duck eggs! Traded a stump grind for a bamboo fly rod and a Coleman stove once.

I have this one repeat customer who is a retired machinist of German heritage who gives me a 6 pack of his homemade beer and a half dozen smoked goldeye [fish] .
Better then cash;)

I've got three months supply of home brew and a good fish market just down the road, I'll stick with the green stuff.::D

Been given a lot of things, beer & wine, tools, axes and an extra good set of drill bits a few weeks ago.

Best of all are some stories from people just living quietly, you really have no idea what some people have done. One survived three ships being sunk in WW2, a retired Norwegian sea captain used to cart timber out of Africa. He had some good ones and ended up running a ferry in Sydney Harbour. Lots more, that's better than cash.8)

Banged the clients wife while he was out getting the cash. He was a bit of a jerk, but she was hot and liked a man with sawdust in his pants. Would have been good payment on it's own.

I've twice received a six'er of homebrew from one custy, and bottle of homemade wine from another.

I can go ya about a gillion times better.... I've known this customer for years. He's a great friend now. A year after he first started making wine, he offered me tastes. He'd brag about how good it was with no sulfites... then he had some go to vinegar, so he has to start using some preservatives. But he'd pay me, in part for jobs, with wine, at $8 a bottle. Gave or sold me some grappa, the second time a whole 5th....it's fermented grapes, 180 proof, and awesome. Lasted me darn near a year.... I never drink more than a beer or two, or a couple glasses of wine.

Anyhow, last year, he was concerned about a WW pine that's roots appeared to be moving his fancy wall/fence. (He's a perfectionist, an awesome craftsman-- and a foul mouthed officer on big transport ships---fits right in with me and my mentality and fun/craziness factor. So, I dug down to find the offending roots, which turned out to be too large to cut, so we decided to remove the tree. Anyhow, now that his reds have aged, they are fabulous. He had his wine cellar appraised at $70,000! So, for that hour's work, he pays me with a case of wine, valued at $90 a bottle!! A year plus later, I still have about 6 bottles left.

Then, we removed the tree for $900, another day. And, Ed trotted out with a growler of his neighbor's beer...Georgetown Brewery, ranked as the best or one of the best in town. I had over a tall glass, and then was in no hurry to drive the chip truck home, I'll tell ya that much!! Later, I did help him for a couiple hours, splitting the wood..with hydraulic power....

What fun... someday I hope to go out with him on his 48 foot boat, though it's moored in Anacortes.

Banged the clients wife while he was out getting the cash. He was a bit of a jerk, but she was hot and liked a man with sawdust in his pants. Would have been good payment on it's own.
I'm jealous, you dirty bastid....lucky dirty bastid

Food from the local barbecue place for several months. Got a new 192t from one customer. A young man that works for me occasionally was given a great 385xp for felling one small sand pine, lucky joker.

I've been given a John Deere snowblower that was too big for an elderly customer that they were tired of. Also been given a few awesome belt buckles. A STIHL one, and another with a tree faller and a Skidder hauling logs.

Overall, I'd say any invoices that are paid timely, or driving home with a check is always the best for me.

Back