How'd it go today?

Jay, nice that your skills might get some recognition. Hope it turns out to be a great experience for you both personally and business wise if you decide to do it. The TV thing can be a bit invasive and uncomfortable but also can be fun and rewarding, depending on the people skills of the host, and the editing.

And as a Caucasian. Is there still a lot of Japanese superiority complex. The head of the country suggested a while back that the Japanese labor force was superior because of the highly Japanese nature of the work force. Ruffled America's melting pot concept.

I'm curious how my HH will tend with a pulley below in a 3:1, like that. That was a hiccup for me previously, working, but not silky smooth.

On long drooping limbwalks I use that setup on my HH without the tending pulley, I found it very smooth, almost like strolling up a sidewalk.

I'm really enjoying the 90 degree weather down here in Bucerias, Mexico with my family .
Watched a local climber here prune a palm with only a machete and a hank of 3 strand rope.
will have to wait when I get home in 2 weeks to download the pics off my phone.

Got a call, some production outfit out of the big city wants to have me and my shop as a hand made furniture maker on national tv as part of a program that they are doing on craftsmen. This lady would be coming out to be in it to give a tour of things, some sort of actress or something. She had better bring warm clothes. I think I could endure the lady coming out, but still have to consider it. Lights and big cameras pointed my way might not be fun.

Sounds like a sweet opportunity! Yes cameras and light would suck but I am sure you could look past them and let your work be the true rockstar.

I sold a big black walnut removal looks like it will yield about two/three cords of firewood and two really nice sawlogs a 12' and 9' , 36" DBH. I think I will have this one slabbed and make a crude but effective coffee table and try and sell the rest.

Thanks for the encouragement on the tv program. Apparently they want to come out to take a look at things, so I should know more then. i had better tidy up the joint. Whether they want to take a serious look at what I do, or merely offer light entertainment, that should decide it for me. I don't just mean about my stuff, respecting the traditions of woodworking.

Sean, the politicians here say a lot of dumb things when they think it will up their approval rating, but half the time they end up apologising later for their poor choice of words. I seldom feel a superiority thing going on with the natives, probably a little of it left towards the Chinese, if at all. The current generation doesn't seem to be aware that the emperor came from the sun.

Happy solstice everyone.

Got any solstice caroling planned Stig?

Around here the solstice isn't till tomorrow.

I'm a vegetarian, so I normally sacrifice a head of cabbage instead of a sheep.

I make a lotteri on the danish woodturner's forum of a big burl every year at solstice, so there are a bunch of turners hoping to get lucky.

Daylight here is 8.15 to about 4.15.
Less if it is overcast.

Apart from not being able to get in a full days work, it doesn't bother me a bit.
I like darkness.
Right now I'm sitting in a dark house, with only a small reading lamp lit.

Cosy !

Could be. Or genetics. Is SAD less prevalent in countries which have very short daylight in winter?

Back