New to me way of chocking a log

For a groundie untying broad picks with a number of rope legs, a marl is a nice convenience over a knot as well. Just give a toss and the rope is free.

As the TreeSpyder (I think that was his sn) said back in the day, if you remove what they are tied on and pull the rope, a marl disappears, a half hitch becomes an overhand knot.

Isn't it the other way around?

The rope turn at the top of my spider leg, if considered a knot at all, I found one reference to as a quarter hitch.

Attachments

• 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 74
That is a half hitch, Jay. I think the technique you are describing has merit. Just like any other redirect, it will redistribute the load and if done right, in your favour.

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. Yes, a redirect is a good way to describe, I hadn't thought to use that term, but exactly what it is.

The 2 hitches show a marl and half hitch, respectively, to finish them

If you have a brittle piece and you roof with a bunch of marls and a termination knot, and the piece blows apart, the marls will choke what they hold, whereas a half hitch falls out. If you use two half hitches and choke with a biner for termination, you put the pressure on the half hitches, as it would be with amarl, but after landing the piece, you can slip the whole thing of the end of the piece, and the half hitches fall out cleanly, whereas make turn into overhand knots, which need untying.

Any major differences between the two?

Definite differences between the two ways the rigging is attached. I was only pointing out that the terminology is often confused between the half hitch and marl.

There was an old thread on the forum about this a couple of years ago. Burnan might remember.

And, btw, good post, Sean. Lacing up a dead limb with marls can really help keep the pieces from flying.

http://www.mytreelessons.com/photogallery/Knut & TK HItches.JPG

Oops, I always called that a marl. Spyder with a good pic here showing marl v half hitch

Cory, thanks so much for this! You hit it out of the park with this post! Not only did you find a clear illustration of the difference between a half hitch and a marl (which I was ignorant of, btw) but you also found a photo that showed the derivation of the name of my favorite climbing hitch. The Knut hitch, that is. Now I want to find out more about this gentleman, Knut Foppe. I had never in my life heard of him before, but I thank him for his contribution. I may try the version that finishes using the marl, called the TK hitch, (for Todd Kramer, whom I also have never heard of before). Thanks again for the post.

Tim

Glad you liked it!

Now I gotta unlearn what I thought was called a marl. Ask me a year from now I'll probably still have it backwards.

I use the Knut too, e-z p-z

If you have a brittle piece and you roof with a bunch of marls and a termination knot, and the piece blows apart, the marls will choke what they hold, whereas a half hitch falls out. If you use two half hitches and choke with a biner for termination, you put the pressure on the half hitches, as it would be with amarl, but after landing the piece, you can slip the whole thing of the end of the piece, and the half hitches fall out cleanly, whereas make turn into overhand knots, which need untying.

Sean, thanks for posting this. I did not know this, and it may come in handy for something I'm about to do in a little while. Also good to know just for future reference.

Tim

Back