What should I do with this wood?

sotc

Dormant hero!!
Pretty cool piece of wound wood I harvested from a tree the other day. What would you do with this if you had skills like Jay?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419127634246.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419127634246.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 114
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419127652883.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419127652883.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Second picture has the end of my shoe in it so that hole is about 4 inches across

Cool!
I have been collecting oak wound and just sand them. At some point in time I'll put a poly or something on them to let the grain speak for itself.

Natural forms like that can make very nice containers for plants. I don't know if there is room on the underside to hollow it out and seal it at the bottom to hold sufficient soil, but I think it could be attractive indoors or wherever. You could line it with some water impervious sheeting to keep it from rotting. In the very least, and simple, it could function as a vase, with a piece of wood on the bottom and holding a glass for water. I can't really tell how tall it is, but it occurs that cutting it down might make it more purposeful to use for a vase. If you were to smooth off or maybe just wire brush the top, it would be a different effect from leaving it all natural, could be interesting to play with.

The photo is something kind of similar just to give an idea, made from a piece of Persimmon. I just shaped the upper portion a bit on my lathe. It looks nice with some flowers or greenery in it sitting in a glass. The roughness like with what you have, Wille, gives a nice contrast to a delicate plant arrangement set inside. The one I made must be about ten inches tall by eight inches wide. After shaping it and sanding, some oil brought out the color of the wood.

Attachments

• vase.jpg
    vase.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 101
Hmm, that is a cool thought. I had been thinking to cut it like a bagel, just didn't know why. I'll get some pics with a tape measure for better scale, it really is a heavy bugger. Silver Maple fwiw

From the bark ridges it looks like there could be some interesting grain in that.

I'd make a chuck for it, so I could center it on the lathe and turn a highly polished donut from it.
No practical use, just decorative.

Why don't you bring it on over, we'll see what we can do with it.

I would put it on a lathe and then turn the outside round. The inside I would curve it out following the natural curve of the heeling. I would consider puting an resin in the central hole and dish the resin out slightly. hope this makes sence.

Probably too rough to be a toilet seat.

Maybe a picture frame of some sort, or a light fixture.

One of the biggest disappointments in my life is that I am not more creative.

Not more creative my ass!

Toilet seat Willie. Obviously. (For those of us who are artistically inclined, that is.)

Here's dimensions.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419213434041.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419213434041.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 67
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419213471451.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419213471451.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 67
Wood collector, what would it's purpose be in that form?

Art!

It is a pity shipping is so expensive.
I would love to turn that into something for you.

I sold a cord of firewood recently. Tidying up at my wood yard and realized we had firewood to spare. My customer realized there were all these night burning size pieces of spalted sugar maple in the load and just about started digging through the wood pile in his driveway like a chipmunk. He was a wood turner and became rather excited. He looked at me like I was the devil for turning such wood into firewood.

Willie, if you boil it, the bark should come off easily.
Then handsand the wood and give it a nice finish.

Back